Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Non-blogging blog readers

While I was writing a recent post it occurred to me that although the content was not specific to other bloggers, references in it made it appear that it was. I am now going to try to be much more aware that not all my blog readers are bloggers themselves, although, because of my subject area, the majority are.


We often acknowledge and thank other bloggers by creating links to their blogs, adding them to blogrolls, subscribing to their community pages.... You can give your non-blogging readers some recognition from time to time too.. You could for example include something in a post about a comment they have made, thanking them for feedback, ideas, suggestions etc. If they are a member of such sites as Flickr or YouTube you could link there, as they may be trying to develop friends and a community in this way. If they run ordinary websites you could link to those.


Although we may not get reciprocal linking or social networking kudos from non-bloggers they are as important a part of our personal blogging communities as our blogging mates. Such recognition may even encourage non-bloggers to return to your site and to leave comments!


With this in mind I would like to thank the following people for their support in my blogging efforts:



  • David my parter who is always supportive in whatever I do, (and despite what I do at times too). His business site, not yet complete is at DC PC Solutions - I promise to finish the web site very soon, David.

  • My daughter who's intelligence, determination and intrepid nature is just about to see her head off to work in various, often remote, places around Australia. If you are looking at weather reports for Western Australia the information may well have come from her. Please don't blame her if she is wrong though :-) Her fascination with sunsets and clouds set her off on the path of being a Meteorologist from the age of about 12. She does not have a public blog but you can see her puppy at Introducing Amos. He is a few months older now and has been living here for a few weeks. Despite him eating my furniture, insisting on sleeping across my chest, licking me continually and chasing the cat, I will miss him when he goes on Friday.

  • My elder son who puts up with the time I spend blogging and does not complain, although I know he would like to! As a Software Engineering/Commerce Uni student his knowledge comes in handy. His honesty and down to earth opinions help me see my blogging and web building more objectively. He has been YouTubing some of our visiting dog's antics. The cat gets her revenge- Amos and Pearl as do our curtains - Revenge of the Drapes
  • My younger son who is so impressed by my awards - because of suffering from Fragile X Syndrome he cannot read my posts, but as with all things in life he has a positive cheerful attitude and does not let this phase him. I have learned a lot from him on how to have a positive attitude to life.

  • Keef whose sense of humor and travel experiences, as an international coach driver, would make fascinating blog reading but I have not yet convinced him to give it a go. I will give a plug here to a website I created but was Keef's idea. An organization that he is an active member of, as a coastwatch volunteer and committee member. Ingoldmells Point National Coastwatch . This site was created with a Content Management System called Joomla which I am planning on writing about soon.

  • To those who have left comments on my site with just a name and no indication of whether you blog or not. I thank you.


If any of you reading this are not bloggers yourselves please remember that leaving comments on blogs are welcomed. We bloggers enjoy getting feedback and like to build a community of readers..


Oh I feel a meme coming on! On second thoughts I am going to wait until my blog is active on my own domain :-)

2 comments:

Colin said...

Hi Sue,

Great post.
Many of my readers are non-bloggers, moreso on my PC Security blog and they find me through search engines.
A few do comment which is always appreciated and many bookmark the blog. It's important for us all to realise that we reach a wider audience with carefully chosen words and always responding with a thank you for their comments and visit.

Hope transition to WP is going well :)

Mihaela Lica said...

Good thinking to wait till your blog is active on your own domain. What took you so long anyway? he he.

This is the kind of advice many bloggers forget to give. Good to remember that there are other sites than blogs, Sue. Sometimes the blogging fever makes us forget. :)

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Non-blogging blog readers

While I was writing a recent post it occurred to me that although the content was not specific to other bloggers, references in it made it appear that it was. I am now going to try to be much more aware that not all my blog readers are bloggers themselves, although, because of my subject area, the majority are.


We often acknowledge and thank other bloggers by creating links to their blogs, adding them to blogrolls, subscribing to their community pages.... You can give your non-blogging readers some recognition from time to time too.. You could for example include something in a post about a comment they have made, thanking them for feedback, ideas, suggestions etc. If they are a member of such sites as Flickr or YouTube you could link there, as they may be trying to develop friends and a community in this way. If they run ordinary websites you could link to those.


Although we may not get reciprocal linking or social networking kudos from non-bloggers they are as important a part of our personal blogging communities as our blogging mates. Such recognition may even encourage non-bloggers to return to your site and to leave comments!


With this in mind I would like to thank the following people for their support in my blogging efforts:



  • David my parter who is always supportive in whatever I do, (and despite what I do at times too). His business site, not yet complete is at DC PC Solutions - I promise to finish the web site very soon, David.

  • My daughter who's intelligence, determination and intrepid nature is just about to see her head off to work in various, often remote, places around Australia. If you are looking at weather reports for Western Australia the information may well have come from her. Please don't blame her if she is wrong though :-) Her fascination with sunsets and clouds set her off on the path of being a Meteorologist from the age of about 12. She does not have a public blog but you can see her puppy at Introducing Amos. He is a few months older now and has been living here for a few weeks. Despite him eating my furniture, insisting on sleeping across my chest, licking me continually and chasing the cat, I will miss him when he goes on Friday.

  • My elder son who puts up with the time I spend blogging and does not complain, although I know he would like to! As a Software Engineering/Commerce Uni student his knowledge comes in handy. His honesty and down to earth opinions help me see my blogging and web building more objectively. He has been YouTubing some of our visiting dog's antics. The cat gets her revenge- Amos and Pearl as do our curtains - Revenge of the Drapes
  • My younger son who is so impressed by my awards - because of suffering from Fragile X Syndrome he cannot read my posts, but as with all things in life he has a positive cheerful attitude and does not let this phase him. I have learned a lot from him on how to have a positive attitude to life.

  • Keef whose sense of humor and travel experiences, as an international coach driver, would make fascinating blog reading but I have not yet convinced him to give it a go. I will give a plug here to a website I created but was Keef's idea. An organization that he is an active member of, as a coastwatch volunteer and committee member. Ingoldmells Point National Coastwatch . This site was created with a Content Management System called Joomla which I am planning on writing about soon.

  • To those who have left comments on my site with just a name and no indication of whether you blog or not. I thank you.


If any of you reading this are not bloggers yourselves please remember that leaving comments on blogs are welcomed. We bloggers enjoy getting feedback and like to build a community of readers..


Oh I feel a meme coming on! On second thoughts I am going to wait until my blog is active on my own domain :-)

2 comments:

Colin said...

Hi Sue,

Great post.
Many of my readers are non-bloggers, moreso on my PC Security blog and they find me through search engines.
A few do comment which is always appreciated and many bookmark the blog. It's important for us all to realise that we reach a wider audience with carefully chosen words and always responding with a thank you for their comments and visit.

Hope transition to WP is going well :)

Mihaela Lica said...

Good thinking to wait till your blog is active on your own domain. What took you so long anyway? he he.

This is the kind of advice many bloggers forget to give. Good to remember that there are other sites than blogs, Sue. Sometimes the blogging fever makes us forget. :)