Thursday, November 08, 2007

A New Default Wordpress Blog

I suspect some of you may laugh when you first see my new Wordpress blog, considering the amount I have talked about it, the time I have spent working on its design and layout and what I posted last week about transferring my posts from Blogger to Wordpress.

The Blank Canvas:

Wordpress Default Template


I thought I would explain the method behind my madness. Being concerned about so many duplicate links created by transferring over all the posts here to the new blog and kind advice from Mihaela Lica (Mig) from Pamil Visions, who is well experienced in Search Engine Optimization techniques, I decided to change tack and start afresh with my new blog. Thanks Mig. Mig also has a very informative free book you can download - The SEO Book of Wordpress Blogs

I deleted my installation of Wordpress, as a quick way of ridding it of all the posts I had transferred over, and reinstalled. As I used Fantastico, a free service provided by my host, Hostgator, installation was really quick and simple. Fantastico automates the installation of a whole range of scripts and programs. Take care if you are signing up with a hosting company that includes Fantastico, that its installation is up to date - so that you are not installing old versions of programs.

That explains the lack of posts over at the new blog but why the plain default template you may ask. I had designed a theme that I was mostly happy with and was going to install that. Then I had a brainstorm, which I may very well live to regret.

  • Starting from scratch means that I will have to promote the blog all over again, adding social networking widgets, subscription buttons etc. You can join me in learning what I do.
  • What a wonderful opportunity to blog about the process of styling the template/theme from scratch, so that anyone who wishes to learn about it can do so. So, the blog you see is Mark 1 of many marks - an unblemished blog perhaps?. Although I will be working with a Wordpress theme, what I will post will, in the main, be relevant to bloggers using any platform - because it will be covering CSS styling in general.

  • I will be able to rewrite some of the still relevant and more useful posts from this blog.

So the new blog is a virgin blog, a blank blog, an unblemished blog, a spotless blog. . The blog is in fact a blogspot-less blog. (The Monty Python Parrot Sketch was my favorite). The new blog:

  • Has no Google Yahoo, MSN, Alexa, Technorati .... rank. It is rank-less. I suppose that means at least it does not smell badly :-)

  • Is not submitted to any social networking sites.

  • It has no subscribed readers

  • In fact it has no readers at all!

  • It resides in no browser favorites or bookmarks.

  • Unlike this blog - it has not been Ratified, it is nowhere among the Top Australian Blogs or the Top Australian Women's blogs

  • It is award-less, meme-less, post-less, and category-less

  • It has had no stumbles, diggs, fames, fuels, bumps, reddits ....

  • It has no MyBlogLog, SpicyPage, Bumpzee, del.icious, friends. Poor lonely blog, I feel really sorry for it. (Oh dear, it is a worry when I have feelings for a blogging platform)
This situation will be gradually altered. I just hope it does not take too long!

So here it is folks - the blog with one post: Sueblimely Blogging . I would be delighted it you would 'christen' it by leaving a comment and helping its journey in life from being a brand new baby blog to an adult (although not always mature) blog. Ya boo sucks to the new google pagerank changes - see what I mean :-)

Any ideas for the blog will be very welcome.

PS - Do you think I should call it Sueblimely Discovering Blogging, Sueblimely Blogging - or something completely different?

11 comments:

Jodiec3 said...

Thanks so much for embarking on the ‘start again challenge’ I for one will be watching and learning – so I am very grateful!! I am trying to also get my small online business up and running homepeel.com.au so I am a newbie!! Jodie C jodiec@homepeel.com.au

Pearl said...

why discovering blogging? :) you should call it Sueblimely's Revolutionary Blogging :) I already commented on it and then read this page :) Can't wait to see how you transform it....

Mville said...

Sue, this looks absolutely gorgeous in its layout. It's real clean and well ordered.

I really like it. You did a fantastic job on it. I want a three column layout when I set mine up but I won't be doing it until sometime between Spring and Summer. Heck, I've just gotten used to html and how to make it work well, hehehe.

Bravo, Girly!

Meg said...

Sue,

You forgot one more thing it doesn't have yet - spam! Give it few days though ;)

I think you've probably moved on from "discovering" (although we still learn something every day)...

janettetoral.com said...

Here are my suggestions:

1. Discovering Blogging
2. Sueblimely - Discovering Blogging
3. Sueblimely

Cheers!

Neil Duckett said...

Now you`ve switched to WordPress you won`t look back ... it`s fantastic. There are PLENTY of really cool templates out there too.

Mihaela Lica said...

There's a lot of work ahead for you, Sue. And I know you will enjoy the journey. Right now, what I would suggest, is that you change the permalink structure at your new blog, as fast as possible. Then you will need to start some linking campaigns, directory submissions and so on.
I am glad and thrilled to see you taking the challenge. And more than happy to see the brand sueblimely really getting the wings to fly :)

Thank you so much for the honorable mention of my book. :) I take the opportunity to announce that a new updated version of it will be released at the end of next week.

jay said...

Hi Sue, best wishes with the new format. It's good to have a fresh start every now and again.

Deborah said...

Wow, I was thinking it sounded so desolate and forlorn. And then I remembered ... I was just there myself only 7 months ago, haha!

No longer out there on its own, I'm your first link adding it to my blogroll and your first RSS subscriber ;-)

jimmy choo said...

nice artikel in,

full of information. Hope will see more interesting article by you in future. anyway you also can submit your article into www.timestreets.com/article for free or any article directory to promote your article.
nice experiance here. wish your luck

http://timestreets.com/
http://timestreets.com/forum/

Sueblimely said...

Thank you all for your support, feedback and suggestions. I am only starting again with the behind the scenes work really. The most important element of a blog is already there - readers and comments - it won't take anywhere near the same time and effort to get the new blog on the road as it did this one.

Spam I could do without
Thanks for the tip Mig - permalink structure is now changed.
Blog is going to be called Blogging Sueblimely - did not like being an S as I was always towards the bottom of blogrolls :-) What do you think - the idea was to keep my identity as Sueblimely.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

A New Default Wordpress Blog

I suspect some of you may laugh when you first see my new Wordpress blog, considering the amount I have talked about it, the time I have spent working on its design and layout and what I posted last week about transferring my posts from Blogger to Wordpress.

The Blank Canvas:

Wordpress Default Template


I thought I would explain the method behind my madness. Being concerned about so many duplicate links created by transferring over all the posts here to the new blog and kind advice from Mihaela Lica (Mig) from Pamil Visions, who is well experienced in Search Engine Optimization techniques, I decided to change tack and start afresh with my new blog. Thanks Mig. Mig also has a very informative free book you can download - The SEO Book of Wordpress Blogs

I deleted my installation of Wordpress, as a quick way of ridding it of all the posts I had transferred over, and reinstalled. As I used Fantastico, a free service provided by my host, Hostgator, installation was really quick and simple. Fantastico automates the installation of a whole range of scripts and programs. Take care if you are signing up with a hosting company that includes Fantastico, that its installation is up to date - so that you are not installing old versions of programs.

That explains the lack of posts over at the new blog but why the plain default template you may ask. I had designed a theme that I was mostly happy with and was going to install that. Then I had a brainstorm, which I may very well live to regret.

  • Starting from scratch means that I will have to promote the blog all over again, adding social networking widgets, subscription buttons etc. You can join me in learning what I do.
  • What a wonderful opportunity to blog about the process of styling the template/theme from scratch, so that anyone who wishes to learn about it can do so. So, the blog you see is Mark 1 of many marks - an unblemished blog perhaps?. Although I will be working with a Wordpress theme, what I will post will, in the main, be relevant to bloggers using any platform - because it will be covering CSS styling in general.

  • I will be able to rewrite some of the still relevant and more useful posts from this blog.

So the new blog is a virgin blog, a blank blog, an unblemished blog, a spotless blog. . The blog is in fact a blogspot-less blog. (The Monty Python Parrot Sketch was my favorite). The new blog:

  • Has no Google Yahoo, MSN, Alexa, Technorati .... rank. It is rank-less. I suppose that means at least it does not smell badly :-)

  • Is not submitted to any social networking sites.

  • It has no subscribed readers

  • In fact it has no readers at all!

  • It resides in no browser favorites or bookmarks.

  • Unlike this blog - it has not been Ratified, it is nowhere among the Top Australian Blogs or the Top Australian Women's blogs

  • It is award-less, meme-less, post-less, and category-less

  • It has had no stumbles, diggs, fames, fuels, bumps, reddits ....

  • It has no MyBlogLog, SpicyPage, Bumpzee, del.icious, friends. Poor lonely blog, I feel really sorry for it. (Oh dear, it is a worry when I have feelings for a blogging platform)
This situation will be gradually altered. I just hope it does not take too long!

So here it is folks - the blog with one post: Sueblimely Blogging . I would be delighted it you would 'christen' it by leaving a comment and helping its journey in life from being a brand new baby blog to an adult (although not always mature) blog. Ya boo sucks to the new google pagerank changes - see what I mean :-)

Any ideas for the blog will be very welcome.

PS - Do you think I should call it Sueblimely Discovering Blogging, Sueblimely Blogging - or something completely different?

11 comments:

Jodiec3 said...

Thanks so much for embarking on the ‘start again challenge’ I for one will be watching and learning – so I am very grateful!! I am trying to also get my small online business up and running homepeel.com.au so I am a newbie!! Jodie C jodiec@homepeel.com.au

Pearl said...

why discovering blogging? :) you should call it Sueblimely's Revolutionary Blogging :) I already commented on it and then read this page :) Can't wait to see how you transform it....

Mville said...

Sue, this looks absolutely gorgeous in its layout. It's real clean and well ordered.

I really like it. You did a fantastic job on it. I want a three column layout when I set mine up but I won't be doing it until sometime between Spring and Summer. Heck, I've just gotten used to html and how to make it work well, hehehe.

Bravo, Girly!

Meg said...

Sue,

You forgot one more thing it doesn't have yet - spam! Give it few days though ;)

I think you've probably moved on from "discovering" (although we still learn something every day)...

janettetoral.com said...

Here are my suggestions:

1. Discovering Blogging
2. Sueblimely - Discovering Blogging
3. Sueblimely

Cheers!

Neil Duckett said...

Now you`ve switched to WordPress you won`t look back ... it`s fantastic. There are PLENTY of really cool templates out there too.

Mihaela Lica said...

There's a lot of work ahead for you, Sue. And I know you will enjoy the journey. Right now, what I would suggest, is that you change the permalink structure at your new blog, as fast as possible. Then you will need to start some linking campaigns, directory submissions and so on.
I am glad and thrilled to see you taking the challenge. And more than happy to see the brand sueblimely really getting the wings to fly :)

Thank you so much for the honorable mention of my book. :) I take the opportunity to announce that a new updated version of it will be released at the end of next week.

jay said...

Hi Sue, best wishes with the new format. It's good to have a fresh start every now and again.

Deborah said...

Wow, I was thinking it sounded so desolate and forlorn. And then I remembered ... I was just there myself only 7 months ago, haha!

No longer out there on its own, I'm your first link adding it to my blogroll and your first RSS subscriber ;-)

jimmy choo said...

nice artikel in,

full of information. Hope will see more interesting article by you in future. anyway you also can submit your article into www.timestreets.com/article for free or any article directory to promote your article.
nice experiance here. wish your luck

http://timestreets.com/
http://timestreets.com/forum/

Sueblimely said...

Thank you all for your support, feedback and suggestions. I am only starting again with the behind the scenes work really. The most important element of a blog is already there - readers and comments - it won't take anywhere near the same time and effort to get the new blog on the road as it did this one.

Spam I could do without
Thanks for the tip Mig - permalink structure is now changed.
Blog is going to be called Blogging Sueblimely - did not like being an S as I was always towards the bottom of blogrolls :-) What do you think - the idea was to keep my identity as Sueblimely.