This was done with an extremely handy inbuilt Wordpress feature (Manage/Import in Wordpress Admin).
If I had been using the new Blogger, categories would have been imported too. The classic blogger system I have been using does not support categories so I had used a workround instead. I now have 249 posts to add tags and categories to and 249 posts that have tags that will lead back to blogspot posts. The workround came back to bite me!
I am keeping this blog in place until I am happy that the move is complete. This involves:
- Working on my template to transfer what I want to keep from this template (images etc) and adding a favicon image. I want the new blog to be recognizable as being mine although I am not sure about keeping the notebook spiral affect?
- Adding the correct categories/tags to 249 posts (I am tempted to delete some I am not happy with!)
- Deleting the old 'in post' tags that point to this blog via a Google Blog search (the work around mentioned above).
- Fiddling with my Wordpress template until I am happier with it.
- Pointing multitudes of Social Networking sites to the new location.
- Have a break to celebrate Christmas and talk to my family who have lost me to Wordpress for weeks.
- Adding the necessary plug-ins. I must remember the word 'necessary' here. If I am true to form I will instead trial lots and lots of them and then delete those I am not happy with and non vital ones that cause the page to load too slowly.
- Google stuff - although I am a bit teed off with the big G for downgrading pagerank on some of my favorite blogs. Anyone not understand the phrase teed off - not sure if its only a UK/Aussie expression?
- Creating and adding a Google Site Map to my site (where else would I add it!)
- Adding the blog to my Google Analytics Account so that it tracks stats.
- Setting it up to use Google Webmaster Tools.
- Fiddling some more with my Wordpress theme. By this time should have got used to not calling it a template .
- Pointing my Feedburner feed to the new blog rather than this one. This way those who have subscribed using the feedburner feed will not be affected by my move at all.
- Let in the New Year - 2008 hopefully
- Inform my readers and contacts about the move although I reckon after reading my posts about it for months they will already know and be well and truely sick of it all.
- Deciding what to do about the posts on this blog so that Google does not penalize me for having duplicate content. I could delete the majority of each post, just leaving the first paragraph with a 'read more' link to the post on Wordpress. Then Google would consider me abusive for having too many links to an external site.! If I turned no-follow back on for this site they may forgive me. Maybe I should transfer this blog to a subfolder of my new site (using Bloggers publish to custom domain feature) then Blogger will just divert the site there and my links will become internal? Any suggestions would be gratefull received and acknowledged.
- Start shopping for Christmas 2009