Thursday, November 08, 2007

Dona Nobis Pacem


You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
- John Lennon - Imagine


Mimi of Mimi Writes and founder of the "Peace Globe Movement ~ Dona Nobis Pacem ~ BlogBlast For Peace" has asked bloggers to join together today to blog about peace.

I hope that the participation rate is huge and that those who would not normally divert away from their topic areas make an exception for this. A wish for world peace is not a controversial topic. I know some bloggers fear losing readers if they touch on subjects that may cause readers to disagree, not return or unsubscribe. Surely this subject is not one of them. Some bloggers do participate but, to keep on topic, their posts on the subject in question are about minor issues which relate to their own subject area.I think this minimizes the importance of the message that most bloggers are trying to send.

I regularly take part in united blogging efforts on areas I feel passionate about. I am sure my regular readers will not take offence by this even if I do divert from my topic. To be honest if I were to lose readers because of it, this would not stop me. I would take the attitude that I was losing traffic rather than readers; traffic I did not particularly want anyway. I would feel that my integrity had not been compromised by not being influenced by my blog statistics. Back to today's blogging subject itself:

The idea was to choose one of the Dona Nobis Pacem designs created for the day and to edit and personalise this .

The image I created above is based on one of Mimi's images combined with my blog logo.

In my ideal peaceful world, nations would come together to solve our global environmental problems. Therefore the countries in my image are all green and pleasant lands. The polar icecaps are emphasized to indicate a return to a clean sustainable world. (I am sure Australia would not want the Antarctic quite so close though - please forgive my 'artistic' licence here). The Himalayas and all other mountain ranges will have the 'correct' amount of snow.

I think well written, succinct quotes contain immense power and speak volumes so here is a list of quotes that sum up the importance of world peace far better than I can:

  • Did you know that the worldwide food shortage that threatens up to five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of only one day, only one day, of modern warfare.--Peter Ustinov

  • Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.--Max Lucade

  • Civilization and violence are antithetical concepts.--Martin Luther King, Jr

  • If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

  • Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.--Martin Luther King, Jr

  • I believe in the religion of Islam. I believe in Allah and peace. Muhammad Ali

Is it a pipe dream to expect a peaceful world. Very likely, but I do believe that it is possible and that we start from a very tiny part of the world first - ourselves:

  • Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.- Mahatma Gandhi

  • I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love and abundance. Then whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear try to call me, they keep getting a busy signal and soon they'll forget my number.- Edith Armstrong

  • For it isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it.- Eleanor Roosevelt

  • Am I not destroying my enemies what I make friends of them? - Abraham Lincoln

  • If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work.-Thich Nhat Hanh

  • Let us not use bombs and guns to overcome the world. Let us use love and compassion. Peace begins with a smile--smile five times a day to someone you don't really want to smile at all--do it for peace. --Mother Teresa

  • Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.--Buddha

  • I think this sums it all up - "Be the change you wish to see in the world”Gandi
This thought should be a real incentive for all the world to attempt to achieve peace:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.- Albert Einstein
Note - A good method of discovering who else has joined in today is to do a Google Blog Search for Dona Nobis Pacem or Dona Nobis Pacem Mimi. If you are searching today then choose 'published in the last day' from the left hand sidebar. This will ensure you are reading the entries rather than posts that are reminding us to join in.

Thank you to Colin for reminding me about this via his post at Dona Nobis Pacem - BlogBlast For Peace

6 comments:

Colin said...

Hi Sue,

That's an awesome post for BlogBlast for Peace :)

Maybe one day we will see peace in the world, it would help if the political leaders listened to what the people are saying.

I joined this having seen active service and the futility of it....and if my readers don't like it then that is their choice.

Einstein was right....WWIV will be with sticks and stones.....for those that are left!!

Travis said...

I found you through just such a google search for Dona Nobis Pacem. Thank you for the tip on how to narrow the search.

I'm a little out of my comfort zone now, but I think that peace is worth a little discomfort.

Peace to you and yours on this wonderful Peace Globe Day and always.

Sueblimely said...

Thanks Colin. I imagine there will be many awesome posts today. I like your attitude!

Well done travis. Such 'blogging for a good cause' days are becoming more popular and it will become easier for people to feel they can take part. Especially with a few little digs at those who do not because they think it not proper for their blogs (ie rankings, subscriber count) :-)

In many ways joining in these things is not bad for your blog readership. Linkbacks are created and readers who would not have visited you before do. Thanks for visiting. I am going off to have a good read of your blog now.

Hahn at Home said...

Excellent post. Peace!~

Mimi Lenox said...

Sue,

I sat down tonight to thoroughly read through your post. I am just reaching some of the peace posts from November 7th. I love the snippets you have included here. I've never seen some of them.
I love this one in particular - Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.--Max Lucade

Thank you for explaining the design on your globe. "In my ideal peaceful world, nations would come together to solve our global environmental problems. Therefore the countries in my image are all green and pleasant lands...." That is awesome.

This is such well-designed post full of substance and integrity.

Peace to you and yours,
Mimi Lenox

Sueblimely said...

Thanks Mimi
It was such a worthwhile post to write that I felt that I needed to take time over it.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Dona Nobis Pacem


You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
- John Lennon - Imagine


Mimi of Mimi Writes and founder of the "Peace Globe Movement ~ Dona Nobis Pacem ~ BlogBlast For Peace" has asked bloggers to join together today to blog about peace.

I hope that the participation rate is huge and that those who would not normally divert away from their topic areas make an exception for this. A wish for world peace is not a controversial topic. I know some bloggers fear losing readers if they touch on subjects that may cause readers to disagree, not return or unsubscribe. Surely this subject is not one of them. Some bloggers do participate but, to keep on topic, their posts on the subject in question are about minor issues which relate to their own subject area.I think this minimizes the importance of the message that most bloggers are trying to send.

I regularly take part in united blogging efforts on areas I feel passionate about. I am sure my regular readers will not take offence by this even if I do divert from my topic. To be honest if I were to lose readers because of it, this would not stop me. I would take the attitude that I was losing traffic rather than readers; traffic I did not particularly want anyway. I would feel that my integrity had not been compromised by not being influenced by my blog statistics. Back to today's blogging subject itself:

The idea was to choose one of the Dona Nobis Pacem designs created for the day and to edit and personalise this .

The image I created above is based on one of Mimi's images combined with my blog logo.

In my ideal peaceful world, nations would come together to solve our global environmental problems. Therefore the countries in my image are all green and pleasant lands. The polar icecaps are emphasized to indicate a return to a clean sustainable world. (I am sure Australia would not want the Antarctic quite so close though - please forgive my 'artistic' licence here). The Himalayas and all other mountain ranges will have the 'correct' amount of snow.

I think well written, succinct quotes contain immense power and speak volumes so here is a list of quotes that sum up the importance of world peace far better than I can:

  • Did you know that the worldwide food shortage that threatens up to five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of only one day, only one day, of modern warfare.--Peter Ustinov

  • Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.--Max Lucade

  • Civilization and violence are antithetical concepts.--Martin Luther King, Jr

  • If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

  • Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.--Martin Luther King, Jr

  • I believe in the religion of Islam. I believe in Allah and peace. Muhammad Ali

Is it a pipe dream to expect a peaceful world. Very likely, but I do believe that it is possible and that we start from a very tiny part of the world first - ourselves:

  • Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.- Mahatma Gandhi

  • I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love and abundance. Then whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear try to call me, they keep getting a busy signal and soon they'll forget my number.- Edith Armstrong

  • For it isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it.- Eleanor Roosevelt

  • Am I not destroying my enemies what I make friends of them? - Abraham Lincoln

  • If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work.-Thich Nhat Hanh

  • Let us not use bombs and guns to overcome the world. Let us use love and compassion. Peace begins with a smile--smile five times a day to someone you don't really want to smile at all--do it for peace. --Mother Teresa

  • Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.--Buddha

  • I think this sums it all up - "Be the change you wish to see in the world”Gandi
This thought should be a real incentive for all the world to attempt to achieve peace:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.- Albert Einstein
Note - A good method of discovering who else has joined in today is to do a Google Blog Search for Dona Nobis Pacem or Dona Nobis Pacem Mimi. If you are searching today then choose 'published in the last day' from the left hand sidebar. This will ensure you are reading the entries rather than posts that are reminding us to join in.

Thank you to Colin for reminding me about this via his post at Dona Nobis Pacem - BlogBlast For Peace

6 comments:

Colin said...

Hi Sue,

That's an awesome post for BlogBlast for Peace :)

Maybe one day we will see peace in the world, it would help if the political leaders listened to what the people are saying.

I joined this having seen active service and the futility of it....and if my readers don't like it then that is their choice.

Einstein was right....WWIV will be with sticks and stones.....for those that are left!!

Travis said...

I found you through just such a google search for Dona Nobis Pacem. Thank you for the tip on how to narrow the search.

I'm a little out of my comfort zone now, but I think that peace is worth a little discomfort.

Peace to you and yours on this wonderful Peace Globe Day and always.

Sueblimely said...

Thanks Colin. I imagine there will be many awesome posts today. I like your attitude!

Well done travis. Such 'blogging for a good cause' days are becoming more popular and it will become easier for people to feel they can take part. Especially with a few little digs at those who do not because they think it not proper for their blogs (ie rankings, subscriber count) :-)

In many ways joining in these things is not bad for your blog readership. Linkbacks are created and readers who would not have visited you before do. Thanks for visiting. I am going off to have a good read of your blog now.

Hahn at Home said...

Excellent post. Peace!~

Mimi Lenox said...

Sue,

I sat down tonight to thoroughly read through your post. I am just reaching some of the peace posts from November 7th. I love the snippets you have included here. I've never seen some of them.
I love this one in particular - Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.--Max Lucade

Thank you for explaining the design on your globe. "In my ideal peaceful world, nations would come together to solve our global environmental problems. Therefore the countries in my image are all green and pleasant lands...." That is awesome.

This is such well-designed post full of substance and integrity.

Peace to you and yours,
Mimi Lenox

Sueblimely said...

Thanks Mimi
It was such a worthwhile post to write that I felt that I needed to take time over it.