Friday, November 02, 2007

Australia's inadequate download limits

Tax returns done, I can at last allow myself some time for blogging and browsing. Using up our internet download limit for the month, two days early, was actually helpful for a change as I did not get sidetracked from my task at hand.

In normal circumstances I would be ranting and raving about the restrictive broadband service in Australia. We are on a, so called, unlimited broadband plan but this means we have a certain download limit and then get speed restricted. The restricted speed was so slow that I could not download email without timing out nor get into web mail.

The current top plan with my ISP allows 30gb of download/upload a month for A$109 (US$102). With 2 adults and 4 'grown' children being regular and active internet users this is just not enough for us . I do not know of any Australian ISP that offers truly unlimited downloads. Until recently uploads were not included in the allowance. Our service is deteriorating rather than improving! I guess I had a rant after all.

Apologies from those whose emails I should have replied to earlier. I will have to have a catch up now and try and wade my way through the spam to the real emails.


tag alexa

2 comments:

Colin Campbell said...

I think it is completely scandalous and reflects more of the Australia that our convict relatives arrived in rather than contemporary Australia. Regardless of who is elected, it will be years before most of Australia has access to serviceable, cost effective, reasonably fast internet service.

Sueblimely said...

I am not sure we will ever have a cost effective internet service. Apart from Telstra's pricing structure, which controls the market and prevents healthy competition, ISP's are going to charge for the services that will allow for speed and more download limits. They will be offering TV shows and movies etc for download but at an extra price.

Optus has now joined those who are including upload limits in download limits. I imagine a time when photo and video uploads are only possible if you subscribe to a paid service with your ISP.

The excuse given is too much bandwidth being used for illicit downloads but I reckon they are trying to restrict us now only so they can charge for services in the not too distant future.

Friday, November 02, 2007

Australia's inadequate download limits

Tax returns done, I can at last allow myself some time for blogging and browsing. Using up our internet download limit for the month, two days early, was actually helpful for a change as I did not get sidetracked from my task at hand.

In normal circumstances I would be ranting and raving about the restrictive broadband service in Australia. We are on a, so called, unlimited broadband plan but this means we have a certain download limit and then get speed restricted. The restricted speed was so slow that I could not download email without timing out nor get into web mail.

The current top plan with my ISP allows 30gb of download/upload a month for A$109 (US$102). With 2 adults and 4 'grown' children being regular and active internet users this is just not enough for us . I do not know of any Australian ISP that offers truly unlimited downloads. Until recently uploads were not included in the allowance. Our service is deteriorating rather than improving! I guess I had a rant after all.

Apologies from those whose emails I should have replied to earlier. I will have to have a catch up now and try and wade my way through the spam to the real emails.


tag alexa

2 comments:

Colin Campbell said...

I think it is completely scandalous and reflects more of the Australia that our convict relatives arrived in rather than contemporary Australia. Regardless of who is elected, it will be years before most of Australia has access to serviceable, cost effective, reasonably fast internet service.

Sueblimely said...

I am not sure we will ever have a cost effective internet service. Apart from Telstra's pricing structure, which controls the market and prevents healthy competition, ISP's are going to charge for the services that will allow for speed and more download limits. They will be offering TV shows and movies etc for download but at an extra price.

Optus has now joined those who are including upload limits in download limits. I imagine a time when photo and video uploads are only possible if you subscribe to a paid service with your ISP.

The excuse given is too much bandwidth being used for illicit downloads but I reckon they are trying to restrict us now only so they can charge for services in the not too distant future.