Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Youlicit - Relevant Content for Blog Research

I have been spending some time lately trying out Youlicit, which I can only describe as a kind of cross between a search engine, Stumbleupon and del.icious. The aim is to provide you with relevant content by remembering the type of site/posts you visit and suggesting similar content. So far I have been impressed by the accuracy of the results.

Youlicit says that its underlying premise is that of reducing information overload by using collaborative filtering. Anything that can recude overload, to whatever extent, gets a thumbs up in my book.

Features
  • Remembering your interest areas and recommending similar sites/posts.

  • Adding sites you recommend via Firefox addins.

  • Adding sites via links on the Youlicit site itself.

  • Finding sites similar to those you have bookmarked via the Youlicit site and directly from Firefox.

  • Adding contacts who have similar browsing interests

  • Importing of del.icio.us bookmarks and digg favorites

  • RSS feeds for several aspects of Youlicit’s service, including your recommendations or another user’s recommendations.

  • Configurable feed lists for your blog.

  • An AIM subprofile

  • Emailing friends with links
How Youlicit works

Youlicit learns from the sites you recommend; those you or others have added. You can also import del.icio.us bookmarks and digg favorites - which gives the process a head start by providing it with sites you already like. Based on your preferences it suggests other sites that you may find of interest. On the Youlicit site you can browse these sites via lists, specific urls or tags. For example, enter a blog URL or a specific tag and you will be presented with similar content. Next to each site in a list is a button allowing you to narrow down your search further by finding sites similar to individual entries.

Adding sites to Youlicit:

Using a choice of a variety of Firefox browser add-ons and Google toolbar addins you can recommend the site you are on - this very quickly works in the background with no diverting to their site, no pop-up forms to fill in, and no tagging or description needed.

The add ins available are in the form of a Firefox toolbar or individual toolbar buttons (the latter being my preference - I have too many Firefox toolbars as it is) There is also a Google search add-on, which lets you get related Youlicit results for any Google search you do.

The 'stumble' type features 'Youlicit next' and 'Youlicit more' take you to another site similar to the one you are looking or to a list of similar sites bookmarked on Youlicit respectively. The beauty of this is that the sites are relevant to your own preferences rather than random sites on any topic.

Add sites from the Youlicit site itself by clicking on a button next to each link.

Adding Contacts

This feature is accessed via your profile page where you will find a 'Related User' list. Viewing their profile allows you to see their related users and their tags and so on.

How is the Youlicit search engine different to others?

To quote Youlicit - "While the other search engines return sites based on algorithms that determine the popularity of a site with other sites (how many web pages link back to the web site among other things), our unique algorithm processes the sites that people are finding important and interesting and providing you with just those results."

More information:

I would recommend you check the site out. Registration is not necessary so you can just browse for content and recommend sites if you wish. Registration does brings you all the Youlicit features and your own profile page though.

tag , alexa

5 comments:

Saboma said...

I'm so glad that you posted this, Sue. I was going to ask you about it since I found it at Maryannaville. I've also joined it, [I seriously don't know how I'm going to have the time get back to it] just to see how it works, yet, let me point out again what's in the above brackets.

By the way, I purchased Maryannaville the other day/night and you made that purchase I made my reality!

I guess what I'm saying here is that its all your fault, so now I'm going to tap into you as my website mentor, oh lucky you! :D

Sueblimely said...

Oh dear, I am in trouble now. I had better carry on with my series on moving to Wordpress on my server. Have you got hosting yet?
Suggestion as to using Youlicit -

If you have del.icio.us bookmarks or digg favorites upload these. At least Youlicit will have something to go on to work out what you like. Add the recommend bookmarklet to your toolbar. As this works quietly and quickly in the background it takes less than a second of your time.

Then use Youlicit for research purposes rather than a time consuming social networking platform.

Nihaar Gupta said...

Sue,

Thanks for the great review. Nothing brings us more joy than hearing from our users.

Stay tuned for our improved personalized recommendations service and additional features to improve your Youlicit experience.

Cheers,

Nihaar Gupta
Youlicit

Saboma said...

Well a big hello to you,nihaar gupta!

Sue, a gal pal I met at BTF asked if I'd accept a generous offer from her to host my blog so I'm going to take her up on it. I had taken a much longer time getting back to her regarding the domain purchase and I'm waiting for her to reply. When I hear from her again, I'll keep you updated on the transition.

She's a busy gal and meets herself coming back plus that, I'm not in any hurry. I have all the time in the world.

I was just kidding about blaming you for a decision I had been thinking about making anyway. I just threw that in to make you smile.

When I got the domain, it was only because I had read your previous post and I had the time to research it well enough to find the right one. I think I fared very well in who I chose to go with, too.

My purchasing the domain WAS an end result of my having read your post, but ultimately, it was me who made the decision.

Sueblimely said...

I realised you were joking, Saboma, but thanks for clarifying anyway :-)

What a nice generous gal pal you have and you may tell her that from me.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Youlicit - Relevant Content for Blog Research

I have been spending some time lately trying out Youlicit, which I can only describe as a kind of cross between a search engine, Stumbleupon and del.icious. The aim is to provide you with relevant content by remembering the type of site/posts you visit and suggesting similar content. So far I have been impressed by the accuracy of the results.

Youlicit says that its underlying premise is that of reducing information overload by using collaborative filtering. Anything that can recude overload, to whatever extent, gets a thumbs up in my book.

Features
  • Remembering your interest areas and recommending similar sites/posts.

  • Adding sites you recommend via Firefox addins.

  • Adding sites via links on the Youlicit site itself.

  • Finding sites similar to those you have bookmarked via the Youlicit site and directly from Firefox.

  • Adding contacts who have similar browsing interests

  • Importing of del.icio.us bookmarks and digg favorites

  • RSS feeds for several aspects of Youlicit’s service, including your recommendations or another user’s recommendations.

  • Configurable feed lists for your blog.

  • An AIM subprofile

  • Emailing friends with links
How Youlicit works

Youlicit learns from the sites you recommend; those you or others have added. You can also import del.icio.us bookmarks and digg favorites - which gives the process a head start by providing it with sites you already like. Based on your preferences it suggests other sites that you may find of interest. On the Youlicit site you can browse these sites via lists, specific urls or tags. For example, enter a blog URL or a specific tag and you will be presented with similar content. Next to each site in a list is a button allowing you to narrow down your search further by finding sites similar to individual entries.

Adding sites to Youlicit:

Using a choice of a variety of Firefox browser add-ons and Google toolbar addins you can recommend the site you are on - this very quickly works in the background with no diverting to their site, no pop-up forms to fill in, and no tagging or description needed.

The add ins available are in the form of a Firefox toolbar or individual toolbar buttons (the latter being my preference - I have too many Firefox toolbars as it is) There is also a Google search add-on, which lets you get related Youlicit results for any Google search you do.

The 'stumble' type features 'Youlicit next' and 'Youlicit more' take you to another site similar to the one you are looking or to a list of similar sites bookmarked on Youlicit respectively. The beauty of this is that the sites are relevant to your own preferences rather than random sites on any topic.

Add sites from the Youlicit site itself by clicking on a button next to each link.

Adding Contacts

This feature is accessed via your profile page where you will find a 'Related User' list. Viewing their profile allows you to see their related users and their tags and so on.

How is the Youlicit search engine different to others?

To quote Youlicit - "While the other search engines return sites based on algorithms that determine the popularity of a site with other sites (how many web pages link back to the web site among other things), our unique algorithm processes the sites that people are finding important and interesting and providing you with just those results."

More information:

I would recommend you check the site out. Registration is not necessary so you can just browse for content and recommend sites if you wish. Registration does brings you all the Youlicit features and your own profile page though.

tag , alexa

5 comments:

Saboma said...

I'm so glad that you posted this, Sue. I was going to ask you about it since I found it at Maryannaville. I've also joined it, [I seriously don't know how I'm going to have the time get back to it] just to see how it works, yet, let me point out again what's in the above brackets.

By the way, I purchased Maryannaville the other day/night and you made that purchase I made my reality!

I guess what I'm saying here is that its all your fault, so now I'm going to tap into you as my website mentor, oh lucky you! :D

Sueblimely said...

Oh dear, I am in trouble now. I had better carry on with my series on moving to Wordpress on my server. Have you got hosting yet?
Suggestion as to using Youlicit -

If you have del.icio.us bookmarks or digg favorites upload these. At least Youlicit will have something to go on to work out what you like. Add the recommend bookmarklet to your toolbar. As this works quietly and quickly in the background it takes less than a second of your time.

Then use Youlicit for research purposes rather than a time consuming social networking platform.

Nihaar Gupta said...

Sue,

Thanks for the great review. Nothing brings us more joy than hearing from our users.

Stay tuned for our improved personalized recommendations service and additional features to improve your Youlicit experience.

Cheers,

Nihaar Gupta
Youlicit

Saboma said...

Well a big hello to you,nihaar gupta!

Sue, a gal pal I met at BTF asked if I'd accept a generous offer from her to host my blog so I'm going to take her up on it. I had taken a much longer time getting back to her regarding the domain purchase and I'm waiting for her to reply. When I hear from her again, I'll keep you updated on the transition.

She's a busy gal and meets herself coming back plus that, I'm not in any hurry. I have all the time in the world.

I was just kidding about blaming you for a decision I had been thinking about making anyway. I just threw that in to make you smile.

When I got the domain, it was only because I had read your previous post and I had the time to research it well enough to find the right one. I think I fared very well in who I chose to go with, too.

My purchasing the domain WAS an end result of my having read your post, but ultimately, it was me who made the decision.

Sueblimely said...

I realised you were joking, Saboma, but thanks for clarifying anyway :-)

What a nice generous gal pal you have and you may tell her that from me.