Tuesday, October 23, 2007

How to make the most of blog comments

I have discovered two more ways to make blogging life easier!

The first I would like to talk about is co.mments, a method I am using to keep track of comments on blogs with posts of interest and those that I have left a comment on myself.

Bloggers who interact with their readers and develop a dialog, by responding to comments, can develop discussions that make a blog come alive. They are creating their own communities. I enjoy reading and participating in these commenting sessions because:

  • they are helping me develop a social/friendship network

  • they often contain valuable information that leads me to information/further research for this blog.

  • They have been valuable for helping to develop my own readership.

If you have any points to add to this please let us know.
Being informed when there is a reply to a comment that I have left on another blog, or new comments on a topic of interest, means I can go back and respond further if necessary.

I used to save the post page to a folder on my links toolbar but I tended not to look at the folder regularly enough. Where a 'subscribe to comments' feature is available I would use this but some posts generate masses of comments for a while after, crowding my inbox. These are normally the very popular blogs where I feel comments are left mainly for the purpose of leaving a link. To me these blogs, although having very large readerships, do not in general have such a community feel to them.

When I first read of co.mments my curiosity was immediately aroused and after using it to keep track of comments for a while now, I am a firm fan.

How does it work?

Very simply and quickly (I love simple and quick!):-
  • Add the co.mments bookmarklet to your bookmarks toolbar.

  • Click this bookmarklet button when you are on a post page whose comments you want to track. co.mments works in the background with no more input needed. A little pop up appears confirming the bookmark along with a link to your personal co.omments page.

  • This action creates a page at co.mments that shows post summaries and all new comments on the posts you have co.mment bookmarked.

  • A 'conversations' page shows recently bookmarked pages of all the sites users.

  • There is no need to visit the site each time you wish to read comments on your bookmarked posts as an RSS feed and email notifications are available. I have added the feed to my Thunderbird news reader so it is easy for me to keep up to date without getting masses of emails.

Other useful features:


  • Make it easy for your readers to follow your blog's comments by adding a link to let them track comments on your posts. - you can see mine below just next to the comments link.

  • If you use FeedBurner, you can add comment tracking to your feeds.

  • For WordPress users the Sociable plugin includes support for co.mments

  • Registration is not necessary as a cookie is used to track your bookmarked posts but I preferred to do so as I like to clean out my cookies from time to time.

  • The option of adding a widget to your own blog allows others to see where you have been commenting.

I have started testing out a similar application coComment and will let you know if I find it of more use. So far it is shaping up well and has more social networking features - although I am not sure I need more!

I will post about the second application that can make the life of a blogger easier tomorrow.

(That was not a deliberate ploy to get you to return here tomorrow, I just did not have time to finish the post today. Many bloggers do use such teasers. I am wondering what you think about them?)
tag , alexa

3 comments:

Diane said...

This is so useful - thanks for the info! I have stumbled it.
I was actually thinking of starting a list and making a note of where I left comments so I could follow them up - the older I get the worse my memory is! This is a much better idea!
Thanks!

James said...

Usually, continued posts make me want to come back. :) I'll be back.

joaquin said...

Hi,
We are glad you discovered cocomment, and that is making your blogging life easier. That is what we do, easy to track, and find conversations, as well as bringing new traffic over to you by exposing your comments to over 565,000 cocomments users.
If you have any suggestions or questions let me know. You can reach me at joaquin@cocomment.com
Thanks
Joaquin

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

How to make the most of blog comments

I have discovered two more ways to make blogging life easier!

The first I would like to talk about is co.mments, a method I am using to keep track of comments on blogs with posts of interest and those that I have left a comment on myself.

Bloggers who interact with their readers and develop a dialog, by responding to comments, can develop discussions that make a blog come alive. They are creating their own communities. I enjoy reading and participating in these commenting sessions because:

  • they are helping me develop a social/friendship network

  • they often contain valuable information that leads me to information/further research for this blog.

  • They have been valuable for helping to develop my own readership.

If you have any points to add to this please let us know.
Being informed when there is a reply to a comment that I have left on another blog, or new comments on a topic of interest, means I can go back and respond further if necessary.

I used to save the post page to a folder on my links toolbar but I tended not to look at the folder regularly enough. Where a 'subscribe to comments' feature is available I would use this but some posts generate masses of comments for a while after, crowding my inbox. These are normally the very popular blogs where I feel comments are left mainly for the purpose of leaving a link. To me these blogs, although having very large readerships, do not in general have such a community feel to them.

When I first read of co.mments my curiosity was immediately aroused and after using it to keep track of comments for a while now, I am a firm fan.

How does it work?

Very simply and quickly (I love simple and quick!):-
  • Add the co.mments bookmarklet to your bookmarks toolbar.

  • Click this bookmarklet button when you are on a post page whose comments you want to track. co.mments works in the background with no more input needed. A little pop up appears confirming the bookmark along with a link to your personal co.omments page.

  • This action creates a page at co.mments that shows post summaries and all new comments on the posts you have co.mment bookmarked.

  • A 'conversations' page shows recently bookmarked pages of all the sites users.

  • There is no need to visit the site each time you wish to read comments on your bookmarked posts as an RSS feed and email notifications are available. I have added the feed to my Thunderbird news reader so it is easy for me to keep up to date without getting masses of emails.

Other useful features:


  • Make it easy for your readers to follow your blog's comments by adding a link to let them track comments on your posts. - you can see mine below just next to the comments link.

  • If you use FeedBurner, you can add comment tracking to your feeds.

  • For WordPress users the Sociable plugin includes support for co.mments

  • Registration is not necessary as a cookie is used to track your bookmarked posts but I preferred to do so as I like to clean out my cookies from time to time.

  • The option of adding a widget to your own blog allows others to see where you have been commenting.

I have started testing out a similar application coComment and will let you know if I find it of more use. So far it is shaping up well and has more social networking features - although I am not sure I need more!

I will post about the second application that can make the life of a blogger easier tomorrow.

(That was not a deliberate ploy to get you to return here tomorrow, I just did not have time to finish the post today. Many bloggers do use such teasers. I am wondering what you think about them?)
tag , alexa

3 comments:

Diane said...

This is so useful - thanks for the info! I have stumbled it.
I was actually thinking of starting a list and making a note of where I left comments so I could follow them up - the older I get the worse my memory is! This is a much better idea!
Thanks!

James said...

Usually, continued posts make me want to come back. :) I'll be back.

joaquin said...

Hi,
We are glad you discovered cocomment, and that is making your blogging life easier. That is what we do, easy to track, and find conversations, as well as bringing new traffic over to you by exposing your comments to over 565,000 cocomments users.
If you have any suggestions or questions let me know. You can reach me at joaquin@cocomment.com
Thanks
Joaquin