Thursday, November 01, 2007

Blogging Carnivals

My last post reminded me that I wanted to mention the "All Women blogging carnival". The carnival is run by the All for Women blog, the same site that created the top 50 Australian Women blogger list. The aim: to create "a weekly roundup of the best of women blogging from all over the blogosphere".

Carnivals are a good way to help develop your personal blogging community although I recommend you stick to those that are of most relevance to your interests or blog topics. If you are participating in carnivals merely for the backlinks they provide, whatever the topic, you have to be careful that your posts are of interest to your readers.

The reason I like the All Women carnival is that you do not have write about a given topic nor divert from your normal subject area. You submit one of the blog posts you have already written. This can be a particular post you have written for the carnival or a favorite from the prior week. You can experience the link love without compromising your blog. There is one condition to entry - you must be a woman. As if you did not realize that without me telling you!

Because entrants choose their best posts, they make for good reading. As well as submitting posts you can also volunteer to host the carnival. A different blogger hosts the carnival each Monday. For an example, here is the latest hosted by Imaginif
All Women Carnival - Why the Blog Not. I wonder if hosts are expected to be women too?

Leigh of All for Women and crazy meezer and Patricia at Mad Goat Lady have just started a novel site Aussie Swaps - a swap is where people secretly send a gift to each other. They plan to have several swaps throughout the year to mark special occasions, such as Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day, and are starting off with a Secret Santa. This is a site for Aussies but I thought some of you may be interested in the concept.

Imaginif runs a carnival very similar to All Women although the stipulation here is that you must be an Aussie - Carnival of Australia

tag , alexa

5 comments:

Megan over at Imaginif said...

Sue thanks for giving all the Carnivals a plug. It is so lovely to have bloggers encourage other bloggers.

I agree with you on matching your blog to the Carnival audience and not just to get a track-back. Ethical blogging breeds good blog karma.

I have made some fantastic blogger mates through Carnivals and the comment banter I have with those bloggers always results in other people clicking on our names to find out who we are and why we are so chatty!

Sueblimely said...

I must get my act together and actually participate in these two carnivals especially one run by someone who talks of ethical blogging and blog karma :-)

Mihaela Lica said...

These are really interesting topics. I hope to find the time and participate too. I am quite crowded these days... but when it comes to blogging ethics, there's always room for a good entry :)

captain lifecruiser said...

Great idea with these kind of carnivals. I've tried to participate in a few others, but never seem to get it going....

I came here to tell you that we miss you at the Lifecruisers Cyber Halloween Party!

Mr Butcher is awaiting to serve a lot of scared guests with malicious mouth watering dishes!

Everybody is welcome and take all your scary monsters with you!!!!!

The party is going on until witching hour.

Make sure you come here holding your ghoul friends hand and be sure to read the haunted house rules properly!

...and make sure to come back later when the night creatures has crawled up from their graves too.....

*mwuuuaaaaaahaahahaa*

Erica said...

Sue, thanks so much for the blog carnival info - it sounds like fun, and I think I just wrote the perfect post for the occasion. :)

I always get good tips coming to your site. :)

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Blogging Carnivals

My last post reminded me that I wanted to mention the "All Women blogging carnival". The carnival is run by the All for Women blog, the same site that created the top 50 Australian Women blogger list. The aim: to create "a weekly roundup of the best of women blogging from all over the blogosphere".

Carnivals are a good way to help develop your personal blogging community although I recommend you stick to those that are of most relevance to your interests or blog topics. If you are participating in carnivals merely for the backlinks they provide, whatever the topic, you have to be careful that your posts are of interest to your readers.

The reason I like the All Women carnival is that you do not have write about a given topic nor divert from your normal subject area. You submit one of the blog posts you have already written. This can be a particular post you have written for the carnival or a favorite from the prior week. You can experience the link love without compromising your blog. There is one condition to entry - you must be a woman. As if you did not realize that without me telling you!

Because entrants choose their best posts, they make for good reading. As well as submitting posts you can also volunteer to host the carnival. A different blogger hosts the carnival each Monday. For an example, here is the latest hosted by Imaginif
All Women Carnival - Why the Blog Not. I wonder if hosts are expected to be women too?

Leigh of All for Women and crazy meezer and Patricia at Mad Goat Lady have just started a novel site Aussie Swaps - a swap is where people secretly send a gift to each other. They plan to have several swaps throughout the year to mark special occasions, such as Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day, and are starting off with a Secret Santa. This is a site for Aussies but I thought some of you may be interested in the concept.

Imaginif runs a carnival very similar to All Women although the stipulation here is that you must be an Aussie - Carnival of Australia

tag , alexa

5 comments:

Megan over at Imaginif said...

Sue thanks for giving all the Carnivals a plug. It is so lovely to have bloggers encourage other bloggers.

I agree with you on matching your blog to the Carnival audience and not just to get a track-back. Ethical blogging breeds good blog karma.

I have made some fantastic blogger mates through Carnivals and the comment banter I have with those bloggers always results in other people clicking on our names to find out who we are and why we are so chatty!

Sueblimely said...

I must get my act together and actually participate in these two carnivals especially one run by someone who talks of ethical blogging and blog karma :-)

Mihaela Lica said...

These are really interesting topics. I hope to find the time and participate too. I am quite crowded these days... but when it comes to blogging ethics, there's always room for a good entry :)

captain lifecruiser said...

Great idea with these kind of carnivals. I've tried to participate in a few others, but never seem to get it going....

I came here to tell you that we miss you at the Lifecruisers Cyber Halloween Party!

Mr Butcher is awaiting to serve a lot of scared guests with malicious mouth watering dishes!

Everybody is welcome and take all your scary monsters with you!!!!!

The party is going on until witching hour.

Make sure you come here holding your ghoul friends hand and be sure to read the haunted house rules properly!

...and make sure to come back later when the night creatures has crawled up from their graves too.....

*mwuuuaaaaaahaahahaa*

Erica said...

Sue, thanks so much for the blog carnival info - it sounds like fun, and I think I just wrote the perfect post for the occasion. :)

I always get good tips coming to your site. :)