So let us be brave and cease thinking of human needs and rights alone,
and see that we have harmed the living Earth
and need to make our peace with Gaia."
James Lovelock: The Earth is about to catch a morbid fever that may last as long as 100,000 years
- Effects of global warming include rising sea levels, glacier retreat, and altered patterns of agriculture, extreme weather events, an expansion of tropical diseases, and drastic economic impact.
- The area covered by sea ice in the Arctic has shrunk to its lowest level since satellite measurements began nearly 30 years ago, In September this year the Arctic's North-West Passage - a sea route linking the Atlantic and Pacific oceans opened up for the first time since records began.
- The UN is calling 2007 a global climate change "mega disaster".
- Scientist: Global greenhouse gas emissions already beyond 'worst-case' scenario
- Heavy water restrictions are already in place here but Australia suffers its worst drought in 1,000 years says that Australia will have to switch off the water supply to the continent's food bowl unless heavy rains break an epic drought. The two rivers that feed the region that yields 40 per cent of the country's agricultural produce are so low that there will soon be only enough water for drinking supplies.
- "The Great Barrier Reef will become "functionally extinct" within decades at the current rate of global warming" Sydney Morning Herald - Reef 'facing extinction'
- In the Pacific The report warns that in Fiji climate change could result in a 100 per cent increase in cyclone damage, an increase in dengue fever cases of between 20 and 30 per cent and a decline in crop yields of up to 15 per cent.
The Climate hot map gives an increasingly comprehensive picture changes in the world's climate systemBlogs on the environment
- Green Options a community dedicated to environmental resources, education, and discussion.
- The Conscious Earth Earth-centred news for the health of air, water, habitat and the fight against global warming
- Eco Chick - The site shows you how to find the things you love, and keeps you updated on what’s going on in that great green world.
- Enviroblog is a project of
EWG Action Fund
covering public health, environmental policy, and better consumer choices.
- Climate Ark Climate Change and Global Warming Portal
- Green Wombat covers the intersection of the environment, technology, business and policy.
- Tree Hugger aims to be a one-stop shop for green news, solutions, and product information.
- New Scientist Environment Blog