Monday, October 22, 2007

8hands is better than 2

8hands logoI have been trying out the newish social media desktop application, 8hands, for a couple of week or so and give it the thumbs up because it has been saving me time - in some respects at least.*
  • 8hands lets you access your Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, MySpace, and Twitter accounts from your desktop.
  • Notification is given of new comments, messages, friend notifications and new videos. You are alerted to these with a pop up message.
  • Notifications are also viewable from friends avatars in the 8hands window. Clicking on messages takes you to the messenger's profile.
  • An archive of messages is also provided, which is handy if you have not logged in for a while, but I do find this slow to load.
  • You are able to chat with your 8hands friends and share Flickr images and YouTube videos.


I have not had to trawl through emails for notifications but have relied on 8hands instead. I only visit the sites when I know there is some action that I want to take.

* The reason it has only saved me time in some respects is that once on the sites I tend to get sidetracked from tasks at hand - such a writing blog posts and work. I find Facebook to be particularly addictive! Do any of you feel the same way or are are there other social networking sites that have this affect on you?

tag , alexa

2 comments:

Rolando said...

Looks like a very cool plugin! Great find Sue!

Anonymous said...

It's an amazing tool. 8hands really does help you handle the social overload...

Monday, October 22, 2007

8hands is better than 2

8hands logoI have been trying out the newish social media desktop application, 8hands, for a couple of week or so and give it the thumbs up because it has been saving me time - in some respects at least.*
  • 8hands lets you access your Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, MySpace, and Twitter accounts from your desktop.
  • Notification is given of new comments, messages, friend notifications and new videos. You are alerted to these with a pop up message.
  • Notifications are also viewable from friends avatars in the 8hands window. Clicking on messages takes you to the messenger's profile.
  • An archive of messages is also provided, which is handy if you have not logged in for a while, but I do find this slow to load.
  • You are able to chat with your 8hands friends and share Flickr images and YouTube videos.


I have not had to trawl through emails for notifications but have relied on 8hands instead. I only visit the sites when I know there is some action that I want to take.

* The reason it has only saved me time in some respects is that once on the sites I tend to get sidetracked from tasks at hand - such a writing blog posts and work. I find Facebook to be particularly addictive! Do any of you feel the same way or are are there other social networking sites that have this affect on you?

tag , alexa

2 comments:

Rolando said...

Looks like a very cool plugin! Great find Sue!

Anonymous said...

It's an amazing tool. 8hands really does help you handle the social overload...