Saturday, September 29, 2007

More Ways to Make Fellow Bloggers Hate You

Mihaela Lica at The Dog Yard has tagged me to continue a tongue in cheek thread she has started "10 Ways to Make Your Fellow Bloggers Hate You" . I will not duplicate her list as you may be interested in following the thread via the others she tagged. Starting from number 11:

Another 10 Ways to Make your Fellow Bloggers Hate You or to misquote Elizabeth Barrett Browning "How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways."
  1. Place so many ads at the top of your site so as to cause RSI (Repetitive Scrolling Injury) in the readers who are interested in your content.

  2. Incorporate dominant ads within your posts and write really short posts. Force your visitors to read your ads; they are more interesting than the post.

  3. Having a subscribe to this blog pop up appear when the site loads.

  4. Make your page load extremely slowly by filling it with unnecessary widgets and subscription buttons and crash browsers with scripts that do not work.

  5. Have very little original content but copy from other sites, blogs and ezine articles.

  6. Befriend hundreds of people on social networking platforms such as MyBlogLog and Pownce just to send them links to your blog.

  7. Set up numerous sites on Blogger all with little content, Adsense on all, and link them all together.

  8. Huge subscribe buttons followed by "advertise here for $... and "buy me a cup of coffee" boxes placed at the top of the sidebar.

  9. Spam, Spam Spam Spam people in any shape or form. (That word always reminds me of Monty Python)

  10. Submit all your own posts to Digg, StumbleUpon and any others you can get away with. (a little secret - I used to do that with StumbleUpon as I thought it was merely an online bookmarking site.)

spam mug These were extreme examples, but practicing these to a lesser extent can annoy your readers and send them rushing away even though your content may be well worth reading.

Michaela's blog is quite new but it is one that I am going to read regularly. So far her topics have included the art of communication, building trust and reputation, general blogging articles and the theme of this post which she tags as 'evil blogging advice'.

I am passing this on to the following people who I know for giving sound blogging advice and their keen sense of humor.

To:
Please add your own suggestions as "Ways to Make Your Fellow Bloggers Hate You" and tag others to carry on from you. Please ask them to come back here and let me know they have done so, so that we can keep track of all the ideas.

Image from PythOnline's Daily Llama



tag , alexa

9 comments:

Colin said...

Sense of humor, blogging advice? me? OMG hahahaha

This is going to be fun lol.

Thanks Sue :)

Kuanyin said...

OMG...you're pushing me to my limits! How could I ever come up with MORE? Well, I'll give it my best shot, but gimme some time. My lunch date awaits!!

Kim said...

ROFL Sue
too funny....actually I think I may be guilty of the widget overload still......as for the RSS button ....too funny... :D

Colin Campbell said...

Sue

That Hairy Guy from Radio One was Dave Lee Travis. Still around according to Wikipedia.

You captured a lot of good annoying things. In your face advertising, making it hard to comment and lack of original content are my top three. I will give it a go in the next few days.

Sueblimely said...

Does not matter if you talk about the same aspects just write about in your own distinct humorous styles :-)

I think widgets are cool, Kim but not when they cause pages to load excruciatingly slowly. Your page is fine.

Is the word 'cool'way out of style now and if so what is the current word, I wonder. I would go ask one of my sons but they are watching the AFL grand final and disturbing them would be one of a mother's greatest sins.

Of course it was DLT, Colin C, how could I forget the Hairy Cornflake. (for the non British here - he was/is a big radio personality in UK)

Deborah said...

RSI (Repetitive Scrolling Injury) .. hahaha, that's hilarious Sue!

I liked Miheala's post too, simply diabolical ;-)

Sueblimely said...

Miheala's post was great. I really enjoy posts that can bring their points across by combining them with a touch of humor.

Mihaela Lica said...

LOL, this was fun. I guess we covered about everything in the book and we can create the ebook by combining all the entries :)
And then we spam people some more, trying to sell them the book? Or we say:
Free ebook, visit my site...
I feel evil!

Sueblimely said...

Great ideas Mihaela. We could even start our own affiliate program and offer the ebook which must be worth at least $5,000 for just $9.97. After all if people are privy to our secret blogging weapons they are bound to make at least $250,000 in the first ten days. We would be doing the world a great service. We could even make them gaudy, extremely long webpages and provide them with testimonials from those who have made their fortune out of our tried and trusted program.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

More Ways to Make Fellow Bloggers Hate You

Mihaela Lica at The Dog Yard has tagged me to continue a tongue in cheek thread she has started "10 Ways to Make Your Fellow Bloggers Hate You" . I will not duplicate her list as you may be interested in following the thread via the others she tagged. Starting from number 11:

Another 10 Ways to Make your Fellow Bloggers Hate You or to misquote Elizabeth Barrett Browning "How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways."
  1. Place so many ads at the top of your site so as to cause RSI (Repetitive Scrolling Injury) in the readers who are interested in your content.

  2. Incorporate dominant ads within your posts and write really short posts. Force your visitors to read your ads; they are more interesting than the post.

  3. Having a subscribe to this blog pop up appear when the site loads.

  4. Make your page load extremely slowly by filling it with unnecessary widgets and subscription buttons and crash browsers with scripts that do not work.

  5. Have very little original content but copy from other sites, blogs and ezine articles.

  6. Befriend hundreds of people on social networking platforms such as MyBlogLog and Pownce just to send them links to your blog.

  7. Set up numerous sites on Blogger all with little content, Adsense on all, and link them all together.

  8. Huge subscribe buttons followed by "advertise here for $... and "buy me a cup of coffee" boxes placed at the top of the sidebar.

  9. Spam, Spam Spam Spam people in any shape or form. (That word always reminds me of Monty Python)

  10. Submit all your own posts to Digg, StumbleUpon and any others you can get away with. (a little secret - I used to do that with StumbleUpon as I thought it was merely an online bookmarking site.)

spam mug These were extreme examples, but practicing these to a lesser extent can annoy your readers and send them rushing away even though your content may be well worth reading.

Michaela's blog is quite new but it is one that I am going to read regularly. So far her topics have included the art of communication, building trust and reputation, general blogging articles and the theme of this post which she tags as 'evil blogging advice'.

I am passing this on to the following people who I know for giving sound blogging advice and their keen sense of humor.

To:
Please add your own suggestions as "Ways to Make Your Fellow Bloggers Hate You" and tag others to carry on from you. Please ask them to come back here and let me know they have done so, so that we can keep track of all the ideas.

Image from PythOnline's Daily Llama



tag , alexa

9 comments:

Colin said...

Sense of humor, blogging advice? me? OMG hahahaha

This is going to be fun lol.

Thanks Sue :)

Kuanyin said...

OMG...you're pushing me to my limits! How could I ever come up with MORE? Well, I'll give it my best shot, but gimme some time. My lunch date awaits!!

Kim said...

ROFL Sue
too funny....actually I think I may be guilty of the widget overload still......as for the RSS button ....too funny... :D

Colin Campbell said...

Sue

That Hairy Guy from Radio One was Dave Lee Travis. Still around according to Wikipedia.

You captured a lot of good annoying things. In your face advertising, making it hard to comment and lack of original content are my top three. I will give it a go in the next few days.

Sueblimely said...

Does not matter if you talk about the same aspects just write about in your own distinct humorous styles :-)

I think widgets are cool, Kim but not when they cause pages to load excruciatingly slowly. Your page is fine.

Is the word 'cool'way out of style now and if so what is the current word, I wonder. I would go ask one of my sons but they are watching the AFL grand final and disturbing them would be one of a mother's greatest sins.

Of course it was DLT, Colin C, how could I forget the Hairy Cornflake. (for the non British here - he was/is a big radio personality in UK)

Deborah said...

RSI (Repetitive Scrolling Injury) .. hahaha, that's hilarious Sue!

I liked Miheala's post too, simply diabolical ;-)

Sueblimely said...

Miheala's post was great. I really enjoy posts that can bring their points across by combining them with a touch of humor.

Mihaela Lica said...

LOL, this was fun. I guess we covered about everything in the book and we can create the ebook by combining all the entries :)
And then we spam people some more, trying to sell them the book? Or we say:
Free ebook, visit my site...
I feel evil!

Sueblimely said...

Great ideas Mihaela. We could even start our own affiliate program and offer the ebook which must be worth at least $5,000 for just $9.97. After all if people are privy to our secret blogging weapons they are bound to make at least $250,000 in the first ten days. We would be doing the world a great service. We could even make them gaudy, extremely long webpages and provide them with testimonials from those who have made their fortune out of our tried and trusted program.