Friday, August 03, 2007

Stirredup - but no shakedown

I recently came across Stirredup, a site whose aim is to promote content that "generates spirited conversation".

stirred up


Submitted articles are awarded points based on how much response they get. Points are gained mainly through clicks through to an article and the number of comments it generates. (Considering that very few comments are made the clicks must be all important). It is not possible to favor a post without having read it at its source blog or website, the idea being that it must generate real interest to achieve importance.

Whether you agree or disagree with the content of the article is not important it is the actions you take with regard to it that count. Hopefully this will avoid the link exchange 'shakedown' - "I will only favor you if you favor me" kind of thing.

You are encouraged to submit your own posts to the site. New posts are shown in the 'Stirring' section. If enough points are awarded, articles are then promoted to the Hot News pages which start on the Stirredup home page. Private messaging between members is possible.

I have joined up and had a look around but it is too early for me to form an opinion on its usefulness as a way of increasing your blog readership. A catchy title will certainly help bring you some traffic, but it is returning readers that you need. I would suggest that, if you do post to this site, you make your catchy title relevant to the post's topic.

I am very tempted though to post something similar to the most awarded site for the last four weeks, but perhaps I will wait until a Sunday to do that (for an SSS post) - Turn off the light, babe! [pic} - I am aware of the reason the title raised curiosity so you may be disappointed what the link leads to!

Other high scoring posts:

  • The Cuba Michael Moore Won’t Show You - this one did stir some lively debate not through the Stirredup comments but on the blog itself.

  • 14 Ways To Procrastinate Productively - This was a title that caught my eye - what a wonderful concept. I look forward to another similar - 'How to sleep in on a Sunday productively'. Seriously, the article does have some good points and I found it worth reading.
... and the top rating Stirredup article of all time.
... having put off productive procrastinating until tomorrow, I submitted this post as my first contribution to Stirredup -


tag, alexablogging to fame

5 comments:

Frank.Sugar&Spice said...

Hello,

Your link to your contribution to Stirred-up does not seem to be working. I just got a 404 error.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review!

We're a very new site, but we're growing quickly. I'm glad you like the idea and hopefully we'll continue to get bigger so your point about the comments goes away. :)

Sueblimely said...

Thanks for letting me know Frank. I really should check my posts more carefully before submitting them.

velinn said...

I'm liking the site quite a bit myself. The theory behind story promotion is quite solid. Also I really like that they actually encourage bloggers to submit. Too often on other sites people just dismiss blogs without reading them, but honestly, comments really don't allow for a thoughtful exploration of a topic in the way that a blog post can.

Good to see that Stirrdup actually cares about the blogging community and wishes to foster debate and conversation.

Sueblimely said...

Hi Velin, Thanks for your input. I agree it is good that the Stirredup system encourages stories to be read . I mentioned comments because this is one of the criteria Stirredup uses to award points. There are few comments made though.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Stirredup - but no shakedown

I recently came across Stirredup, a site whose aim is to promote content that "generates spirited conversation".

stirred up


Submitted articles are awarded points based on how much response they get. Points are gained mainly through clicks through to an article and the number of comments it generates. (Considering that very few comments are made the clicks must be all important). It is not possible to favor a post without having read it at its source blog or website, the idea being that it must generate real interest to achieve importance.

Whether you agree or disagree with the content of the article is not important it is the actions you take with regard to it that count. Hopefully this will avoid the link exchange 'shakedown' - "I will only favor you if you favor me" kind of thing.

You are encouraged to submit your own posts to the site. New posts are shown in the 'Stirring' section. If enough points are awarded, articles are then promoted to the Hot News pages which start on the Stirredup home page. Private messaging between members is possible.

I have joined up and had a look around but it is too early for me to form an opinion on its usefulness as a way of increasing your blog readership. A catchy title will certainly help bring you some traffic, but it is returning readers that you need. I would suggest that, if you do post to this site, you make your catchy title relevant to the post's topic.

I am very tempted though to post something similar to the most awarded site for the last four weeks, but perhaps I will wait until a Sunday to do that (for an SSS post) - Turn off the light, babe! [pic} - I am aware of the reason the title raised curiosity so you may be disappointed what the link leads to!

Other high scoring posts:

  • The Cuba Michael Moore Won’t Show You - this one did stir some lively debate not through the Stirredup comments but on the blog itself.

  • 14 Ways To Procrastinate Productively - This was a title that caught my eye - what a wonderful concept. I look forward to another similar - 'How to sleep in on a Sunday productively'. Seriously, the article does have some good points and I found it worth reading.
... and the top rating Stirredup article of all time.
... having put off productive procrastinating until tomorrow, I submitted this post as my first contribution to Stirredup -


tag, alexablogging to fame

5 comments:

Frank.Sugar&Spice said...

Hello,

Your link to your contribution to Stirred-up does not seem to be working. I just got a 404 error.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review!

We're a very new site, but we're growing quickly. I'm glad you like the idea and hopefully we'll continue to get bigger so your point about the comments goes away. :)

Sueblimely said...

Thanks for letting me know Frank. I really should check my posts more carefully before submitting them.

velinn said...

I'm liking the site quite a bit myself. The theory behind story promotion is quite solid. Also I really like that they actually encourage bloggers to submit. Too often on other sites people just dismiss blogs without reading them, but honestly, comments really don't allow for a thoughtful exploration of a topic in the way that a blog post can.

Good to see that Stirrdup actually cares about the blogging community and wishes to foster debate and conversation.

Sueblimely said...

Hi Velin, Thanks for your input. I agree it is good that the Stirredup system encourages stories to be read . I mentioned comments because this is one of the criteria Stirredup uses to award points. There are few comments made though.