Monday, August 13, 2007

SSS 11 - Laughter is the best medicine



Found on Flickr


derive

If you don't find these at all funny you could always try to laugh.. Laughter, even for no reason at all, is meant to have healing powers over mind and body.

Weekly laughter classes are held at a community hall not far from where I live. I thought I would check online to see if laughter therapy was becoming popular. It certainly looks that way.

2007 Laughter Yoga Cruise (It is beyond my comprehension how anyone can find contorting themselves into unnatural positions any way amusing. *Yoga classes did help me though. I was suffering badly from nerves and had a long term problem with finger nail biting. I no longer need to wear gloves to hide my embarrassment. No one seems to notice that I don't wear open toe shoes any more.*

I think Laughter Mystery Flights would be more fun than a cruise (although I am not sure if they would take off).

If this does not appeal to you, how about making others laugh, you may find it catching.

Steven M. Sultanoff, Ph.D gives us some ideas on how to do this. He suggests that you carry around a clown nose for a week and wear it at least once a day, or you could follow his own practice of blowing bubbles from my his car while stopped at traffic lights.


You may of course think you are too 'normal' to attempt this and dismiss the suggestions as ridiculous. If, however, you are considering Steven's ideas and are now concerned that you may not be normal, maybe it would be wise to read this article What is Normal? Having read this you may think that you are suffering from NPD, but don't stress out, just wear a silly hat, and laugh instead.

'Holistic online' reports on a "study published in the Journal of Holistic Nursing where patients were told one-liners after surgery and before painful medication was administered. Those exposed to humor perceived less pain when compared to patients who didn't get a dose of humor as part of their therapy." *You may not have read the findings of this study but you will be familiar with the concept that developed from it, namely, "I laughed until it hurt".*

It is hard to be serious about the subject of laughter but I will now do my best; I really do believe in its therapeutic value. Howard Langmead, an Australian 'social commentator, comedian and cleric', lists the benefits on his website. Howard runs free weekly Laughter Groups. If you visit his website, with speakers on, and do not laugh I suspect you may benefit from classes.

This Youtube video shows quite clearly that laughter is infectious:



I will leave you with a quote to tickle your funny bone:

" Rideo, ergo sum" (trans. I laugh, therefore I am.) *by Ossis Humorus - an ancient Roman satirist.*

Footnote:

* "Don't believe everything you read" by the Haile Dubious



tag , , alexablogging to fame

2 comments:

aka R'acquel said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! This made me cack out loud.

Oh yeah mate, i believe in this laughing stuff religiously! So much so that i consciously seek the company of funny people who don't have a problem with laughing and are very good at making other people laugh!

How did those people in the yoga class manage to start laughing like that?! They were experiencing the equivalent of my husband and I watching Borat!

Like, we want more... :D

Sueblimely said...

Hi r'acquel. Laughter is infectious so I should image it only takes one person to start - very likely the coach - and all follow suit. I reckon you must feel so relaxed afterwards.

Does not sound as if you need laughter therapy yourself as you already provide your own. Wonderful

Monday, August 13, 2007

SSS 11 - Laughter is the best medicine



Found on Flickr


derive

If you don't find these at all funny you could always try to laugh.. Laughter, even for no reason at all, is meant to have healing powers over mind and body.

Weekly laughter classes are held at a community hall not far from where I live. I thought I would check online to see if laughter therapy was becoming popular. It certainly looks that way.

2007 Laughter Yoga Cruise (It is beyond my comprehension how anyone can find contorting themselves into unnatural positions any way amusing. *Yoga classes did help me though. I was suffering badly from nerves and had a long term problem with finger nail biting. I no longer need to wear gloves to hide my embarrassment. No one seems to notice that I don't wear open toe shoes any more.*

I think Laughter Mystery Flights would be more fun than a cruise (although I am not sure if they would take off).

If this does not appeal to you, how about making others laugh, you may find it catching.

Steven M. Sultanoff, Ph.D gives us some ideas on how to do this. He suggests that you carry around a clown nose for a week and wear it at least once a day, or you could follow his own practice of blowing bubbles from my his car while stopped at traffic lights.


You may of course think you are too 'normal' to attempt this and dismiss the suggestions as ridiculous. If, however, you are considering Steven's ideas and are now concerned that you may not be normal, maybe it would be wise to read this article What is Normal? Having read this you may think that you are suffering from NPD, but don't stress out, just wear a silly hat, and laugh instead.

'Holistic online' reports on a "study published in the Journal of Holistic Nursing where patients were told one-liners after surgery and before painful medication was administered. Those exposed to humor perceived less pain when compared to patients who didn't get a dose of humor as part of their therapy." *You may not have read the findings of this study but you will be familiar with the concept that developed from it, namely, "I laughed until it hurt".*

It is hard to be serious about the subject of laughter but I will now do my best; I really do believe in its therapeutic value. Howard Langmead, an Australian 'social commentator, comedian and cleric', lists the benefits on his website. Howard runs free weekly Laughter Groups. If you visit his website, with speakers on, and do not laugh I suspect you may benefit from classes.

This Youtube video shows quite clearly that laughter is infectious:



I will leave you with a quote to tickle your funny bone:

" Rideo, ergo sum" (trans. I laugh, therefore I am.) *by Ossis Humorus - an ancient Roman satirist.*

Footnote:

* "Don't believe everything you read" by the Haile Dubious



tag , , alexablogging to fame

2 comments:

aka R'acquel said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! This made me cack out loud.

Oh yeah mate, i believe in this laughing stuff religiously! So much so that i consciously seek the company of funny people who don't have a problem with laughing and are very good at making other people laugh!

How did those people in the yoga class manage to start laughing like that?! They were experiencing the equivalent of my husband and I watching Borat!

Like, we want more... :D

Sueblimely said...

Hi r'acquel. Laughter is infectious so I should image it only takes one person to start - very likely the coach - and all follow suit. I reckon you must feel so relaxed afterwards.

Does not sound as if you need laughter therapy yourself as you already provide your own. Wonderful