Wednesday, August 22, 2007

blogLouder with the help of a Blogtrepreneur

Last week I mentioned the blogLOUDER - Blog Consulting Competition being run by Adnan on Blogtrepreneur. I was fortunate enough to win this competition. For my prize I had the choice of a Blog Consultations using an Instant Messenger Service or Blog Review in the form of an emailed report.

blogtrepreneur

I had first thought I would opt for the review so that I got an objective analysis of my blog without me influencing it in any way. After having a chat with Adnan, however, I decided that the objectivity would still be present in a consultation, it allowed me to ask questions and as I was not completely new to blogging we would not cover areas I already knew.

I was pleased with the results of the consultation. Adnan really does knows a lot about blogging. He speaks from personal experience and was able to fill in some gaps for me, especially with regard to SEO, blog promotion, increasing readership and RSS subscriptions. The consultation was tailored well to the requirements of this blog. Although I have done a lot of research, the specific recommendations helped me understand more clearly what I needed to do myself.

Now I have to put some work in on the areas Adnan recommended. I will speed up the transition of this blog to my own server, rather than it being hosted on blogspot, and will move over to Wordpress. I have been pleased with most aspects of Blogger but there are a couple of features that I am not happy with, for example, not having control over the format and styling of the comments page and not being able to remove no-follow from comments.

I am slowly removing some of the clutter from the sidebar partly from a visual standpoint but mainly to speed up page loading time, which is slowed down by too many scripts. I will rid the sidebar of links that have been of little use to me, such as blog submission sites.

Adnan gave me some useful tips on making blogging contacts too including being active in forums; which is something I have spent little time on.

We discussed more (the time we spent chatting was very productive) but much of this, being specific to my blog, may not be applicable to your own.

You can read more details of Adnan's blogging services on his blogLouder site

Thanks Adnan and good luck with your venture. I reckon your friendliness and helpfulness have been a big factor in your own success. It was really good to have a long chat with a fellow blogger too. Being amongst non-blogging family and friends I thoroughly enjoyed having the chance to do so.



tag , , alexablogging to fame

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats on winning the competition - well deserved! It sounds like the consultation was the best choice. I'll be interested to hear about your migration away from blogspot, something I would like to do ... eventually!

Sueblimely said...

Thanks Sharon. You will hear about the migration to wordpress. It is a good opportunity for a series of posts :-). I am already working on a wordpress site which will show the best templates I have come across and why I chose them. I can also run through the details and process of setting up your own server if you you would find that useful. Please contact me and let me know what you would like to know about specifically. That way I can help you and it will also give me an idea of what areas others want to learn about the most too.

Sharon said...

Thanks so much, Sue. I honestly don't know how to begin the process of migrating posts from blogger to another application - I'd be interested to know why you have decided on WordPress, as that's another decision I'd need to make. I've already reserved a domain name, but hints about hosting best practices would be helpful too. Basically, I'm blissfully ignorant and have done no research so far, so knowing how helpful your posts are, any advice you pass along will be extremely helpful! Thanks again and good luck!!

Adnan said...

Hey Sue.
Thanks for the awesome review and I'm so glad I've managed to have an impact with your blog - can't wait to see the port to Wordpress. As ever, please don't hesitate to contact me if you ever have any questions.

Thanks,
Adnan

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

blogLouder with the help of a Blogtrepreneur

Last week I mentioned the blogLOUDER - Blog Consulting Competition being run by Adnan on Blogtrepreneur. I was fortunate enough to win this competition. For my prize I had the choice of a Blog Consultations using an Instant Messenger Service or Blog Review in the form of an emailed report.

blogtrepreneur

I had first thought I would opt for the review so that I got an objective analysis of my blog without me influencing it in any way. After having a chat with Adnan, however, I decided that the objectivity would still be present in a consultation, it allowed me to ask questions and as I was not completely new to blogging we would not cover areas I already knew.

I was pleased with the results of the consultation. Adnan really does knows a lot about blogging. He speaks from personal experience and was able to fill in some gaps for me, especially with regard to SEO, blog promotion, increasing readership and RSS subscriptions. The consultation was tailored well to the requirements of this blog. Although I have done a lot of research, the specific recommendations helped me understand more clearly what I needed to do myself.

Now I have to put some work in on the areas Adnan recommended. I will speed up the transition of this blog to my own server, rather than it being hosted on blogspot, and will move over to Wordpress. I have been pleased with most aspects of Blogger but there are a couple of features that I am not happy with, for example, not having control over the format and styling of the comments page and not being able to remove no-follow from comments.

I am slowly removing some of the clutter from the sidebar partly from a visual standpoint but mainly to speed up page loading time, which is slowed down by too many scripts. I will rid the sidebar of links that have been of little use to me, such as blog submission sites.

Adnan gave me some useful tips on making blogging contacts too including being active in forums; which is something I have spent little time on.

We discussed more (the time we spent chatting was very productive) but much of this, being specific to my blog, may not be applicable to your own.

You can read more details of Adnan's blogging services on his blogLouder site

Thanks Adnan and good luck with your venture. I reckon your friendliness and helpfulness have been a big factor in your own success. It was really good to have a long chat with a fellow blogger too. Being amongst non-blogging family and friends I thoroughly enjoyed having the chance to do so.



tag , , alexablogging to fame

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats on winning the competition - well deserved! It sounds like the consultation was the best choice. I'll be interested to hear about your migration away from blogspot, something I would like to do ... eventually!

Sueblimely said...

Thanks Sharon. You will hear about the migration to wordpress. It is a good opportunity for a series of posts :-). I am already working on a wordpress site which will show the best templates I have come across and why I chose them. I can also run through the details and process of setting up your own server if you you would find that useful. Please contact me and let me know what you would like to know about specifically. That way I can help you and it will also give me an idea of what areas others want to learn about the most too.

Sharon said...

Thanks so much, Sue. I honestly don't know how to begin the process of migrating posts from blogger to another application - I'd be interested to know why you have decided on WordPress, as that's another decision I'd need to make. I've already reserved a domain name, but hints about hosting best practices would be helpful too. Basically, I'm blissfully ignorant and have done no research so far, so knowing how helpful your posts are, any advice you pass along will be extremely helpful! Thanks again and good luck!!

Adnan said...

Hey Sue.
Thanks for the awesome review and I'm so glad I've managed to have an impact with your blog - can't wait to see the port to Wordpress. As ever, please don't hesitate to contact me if you ever have any questions.

Thanks,
Adnan