Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Blogging Stress - Less posting, better posting

It is recommended that bloggers post regularly and frequently to develop and maintain their readership. This can create a lot of pressure on blog authors, especially if the time available for blogging is limited, you have a lot of research to do or you simply do not have the quantity of ideas or material to do so.


bulging mailbox

In these sort of situations frequent regular posting can be counter productive:

  • The quality of your riting may not be up to your best standard. (Not to mention the attention to detail - e.g. spelling!)

  • It may be obvious that not enough research has been carried out.

  • You do not allow enough time for ideas to form fully and your content reflects this. (er - now what was I going to say next)

  • You are forced to neglect other aspects of blogging. (commenting, replying to your comments etc). I tend to be an offender here - sorry.

  • You can start to lose interest because you are not enjoying blogging and you are less than satisfied with not satisfied with your content.

  • Readership actually declines.

What do you do?

The simple answer of course is to post less frequently and concentrate on quality rather than quantity. If you now blog daily change this to every other day and so on.

If you think your frequency of posting is too low and do not want to reduce it even more, there are a few ways to keep your posting levels up while still reducing your time commitment.
  • If you have the time or inspiration to create a few posts at once, do not publish them all on the same day. Publish them one at a time over a one week or two week period.

  • Split longer articles into two or more posts and publish them on different days. Identify these posts by giving them common titles. I have do so in this series of posts which start with Blogging Stress. (I thankfully resisted the urge to create an acroynm as I did with my SSS posts just realizing what the letters may have been interpreted as - BS)This is also a valuable way of bringing readers back to your blog - to find out the conclusion to your post.

  • Work out which of your topics or posts are the most popular and consider changing the focus of your blog to concentrate more on these. It is likely that these posts are the ones that interest you the most too and are less likely to be a chore to write.

  • Don't attempt to create a whole blogosphere in one blog. Try to make your blog unique. Do not create long posts about topics that have been covered elsewhere, unless you are bringing a new perspective to the subject.

  • You may feel the need to post about everything related to your blog's topic, to provide a comprehensive resource for your readers. You can do still do this but save time by using what is already available online.

    • Link to other posts/blogs with a short introduction rather than writing a full article yourself; adding your own points if necessary.

    • Add useful resources to a sidebar blogroll.

    • Post a reading list from time to time.

    If you are concerned about sending readers away from your blog to another site, keep in mind the value of linking and developing contacts with other blog authors.

  • Don't worry about adding graphics to your posts. They do add interest to a blog's appearance but can take up a disproportionate amount of time. Adding graphics to some but not all posts can be as effective. I enjoy dabbling with photoshop so creating graphics is a leisure activity for me; but I only add them to a few posts.

  • Conversely do add graphics in some circumstances. Jazz up a post that is short on content. Better to do this than pad it out with less useful text. Use images to explain subjects you are finding hard to describe. Don't spend a lot of time on the images and use open source/royalty free images rather than creating your own.
I have run out of ideas now and am not going to pad this out further. I can always revisit the topic later on to add other relevant points and hopefully receive some other ideas from those that comment on the post. (Blatant hint/plea.)

To conclude.
Concentrating on quality rather than quantity of posting can save you time as well as raising the standard of your blog.


tag , , alexablogging to fame

8 comments:

Kuanyin said...

Hey Sue...was that a joke when you wrote riting in the first sentence? Or was that a test for us? :-)

Colin said...

Hi Sue...Thanks for spamming my post hahahaha, Now it's my tur LOL.....damn, mohammed seems to have beaten me to it on earlier comments, little bugger gets everywhere doesn't he? I guess on BTF his pleas are being ignored....shame!!

That's beside the point...I don't post every day, but I do research, visit other blogs etc, as many of us do.

I agree that quality is important, readers will come back if you have something that can hold their interest. I wouldn't sacrifice quality for quantity.

Many of my readers come from various online communities, but a great many more find me through search engines, so whatever you are writing you need the right keywords.

Now where's the spam filter? Have you hidden it again Sue?

It's now wonder you postbox pic is bloated.....it's full of SPAM!!

Sueblimely said...

Hi Kuanyin. It was just my feeble attempt at humor :-). Maybe I should save the humor for my Sunday posts only?

Sueblimely said...

What me, Colin? Would I spam your blog! I leave that to my alter-egos Paranoid Paula and Bomber Bush.

I must learn more about using keywords correctly and being more enticing with my titles.

I am this blogs spam filter - alongside the captcha code you are meant to have to enter before you can submit a comment.

Mohammed sure is viral - his comments are copied and pasted. Just the same as his blog posts in fact.

RennyBA said...

Great and readable post with good advices - a relief or a comfort to me. I must admit that I sometimes feels the pressure of having to post after a day or too but also I like to give my readers something special and unique about my main subject: Norway and the Nordic countries.
On the other hand it's a givers gain: the more a post the more interesting feedback I get so I think I stick to your #1 recommendation: Quality:-)

Sueblimely said...

Your blog is certainly interesting Renny. Being in Australia so far away from Europe I enjoy online 'travels' through blogs and Google Maps.

Peter said...

I found this post most educational and helpful. Thanking you for that!

Being new to blogging, I find that I post when I have something to say, rather than forcing myself to post for the sake of just getting a post out.

I like adding pictures, though.

Your right, they take sometime to get right, but they add to my articles. (Pictures are worth a thousand words).

I also like to give some space and time between posts, in order to give readers sometime to digest them and make comment.

I find that with frequent posting, posts can get lost and buried in sidebars over time, as readers concentrate on the first page they come across before going else where.

Their comments can also guide me to where I should go next.

I don't know what anyone would do, if they didn't get any comments.

But different strokes for different folks, depends what your into.

Thank you for listening.

Regards
Peter McCartney
Sydney Australia.

Sueblimely said...

Hi Peter. Thanks for visiting. It is good to see a fellow Aussie blogger here.

I will look out for popular post and recent post widgets for the new blogger for you so posts do not get lost so easily.

If you are interested in learning about any specific aspects of blogging (addins, blogger,coding, design, social networking etc) please let me know. I too like to be guided by comments which show me what my readers are interested in learning.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Blogging Stress - Less posting, better posting

It is recommended that bloggers post regularly and frequently to develop and maintain their readership. This can create a lot of pressure on blog authors, especially if the time available for blogging is limited, you have a lot of research to do or you simply do not have the quantity of ideas or material to do so.


bulging mailbox

In these sort of situations frequent regular posting can be counter productive:

  • The quality of your riting may not be up to your best standard. (Not to mention the attention to detail - e.g. spelling!)

  • It may be obvious that not enough research has been carried out.

  • You do not allow enough time for ideas to form fully and your content reflects this. (er - now what was I going to say next)

  • You are forced to neglect other aspects of blogging. (commenting, replying to your comments etc). I tend to be an offender here - sorry.

  • You can start to lose interest because you are not enjoying blogging and you are less than satisfied with not satisfied with your content.

  • Readership actually declines.

What do you do?

The simple answer of course is to post less frequently and concentrate on quality rather than quantity. If you now blog daily change this to every other day and so on.

If you think your frequency of posting is too low and do not want to reduce it even more, there are a few ways to keep your posting levels up while still reducing your time commitment.
  • If you have the time or inspiration to create a few posts at once, do not publish them all on the same day. Publish them one at a time over a one week or two week period.

  • Split longer articles into two or more posts and publish them on different days. Identify these posts by giving them common titles. I have do so in this series of posts which start with Blogging Stress. (I thankfully resisted the urge to create an acroynm as I did with my SSS posts just realizing what the letters may have been interpreted as - BS)This is also a valuable way of bringing readers back to your blog - to find out the conclusion to your post.

  • Work out which of your topics or posts are the most popular and consider changing the focus of your blog to concentrate more on these. It is likely that these posts are the ones that interest you the most too and are less likely to be a chore to write.

  • Don't attempt to create a whole blogosphere in one blog. Try to make your blog unique. Do not create long posts about topics that have been covered elsewhere, unless you are bringing a new perspective to the subject.

  • You may feel the need to post about everything related to your blog's topic, to provide a comprehensive resource for your readers. You can do still do this but save time by using what is already available online.

    • Link to other posts/blogs with a short introduction rather than writing a full article yourself; adding your own points if necessary.

    • Add useful resources to a sidebar blogroll.

    • Post a reading list from time to time.

    If you are concerned about sending readers away from your blog to another site, keep in mind the value of linking and developing contacts with other blog authors.

  • Don't worry about adding graphics to your posts. They do add interest to a blog's appearance but can take up a disproportionate amount of time. Adding graphics to some but not all posts can be as effective. I enjoy dabbling with photoshop so creating graphics is a leisure activity for me; but I only add them to a few posts.

  • Conversely do add graphics in some circumstances. Jazz up a post that is short on content. Better to do this than pad it out with less useful text. Use images to explain subjects you are finding hard to describe. Don't spend a lot of time on the images and use open source/royalty free images rather than creating your own.
I have run out of ideas now and am not going to pad this out further. I can always revisit the topic later on to add other relevant points and hopefully receive some other ideas from those that comment on the post. (Blatant hint/plea.)

To conclude.
Concentrating on quality rather than quantity of posting can save you time as well as raising the standard of your blog.


tag , , alexablogging to fame

8 comments:

Kuanyin said...

Hey Sue...was that a joke when you wrote riting in the first sentence? Or was that a test for us? :-)

Colin said...

Hi Sue...Thanks for spamming my post hahahaha, Now it's my tur LOL.....damn, mohammed seems to have beaten me to it on earlier comments, little bugger gets everywhere doesn't he? I guess on BTF his pleas are being ignored....shame!!

That's beside the point...I don't post every day, but I do research, visit other blogs etc, as many of us do.

I agree that quality is important, readers will come back if you have something that can hold their interest. I wouldn't sacrifice quality for quantity.

Many of my readers come from various online communities, but a great many more find me through search engines, so whatever you are writing you need the right keywords.

Now where's the spam filter? Have you hidden it again Sue?

It's now wonder you postbox pic is bloated.....it's full of SPAM!!

Sueblimely said...

Hi Kuanyin. It was just my feeble attempt at humor :-). Maybe I should save the humor for my Sunday posts only?

Sueblimely said...

What me, Colin? Would I spam your blog! I leave that to my alter-egos Paranoid Paula and Bomber Bush.

I must learn more about using keywords correctly and being more enticing with my titles.

I am this blogs spam filter - alongside the captcha code you are meant to have to enter before you can submit a comment.

Mohammed sure is viral - his comments are copied and pasted. Just the same as his blog posts in fact.

RennyBA said...

Great and readable post with good advices - a relief or a comfort to me. I must admit that I sometimes feels the pressure of having to post after a day or too but also I like to give my readers something special and unique about my main subject: Norway and the Nordic countries.
On the other hand it's a givers gain: the more a post the more interesting feedback I get so I think I stick to your #1 recommendation: Quality:-)

Sueblimely said...

Your blog is certainly interesting Renny. Being in Australia so far away from Europe I enjoy online 'travels' through blogs and Google Maps.

Peter said...

I found this post most educational and helpful. Thanking you for that!

Being new to blogging, I find that I post when I have something to say, rather than forcing myself to post for the sake of just getting a post out.

I like adding pictures, though.

Your right, they take sometime to get right, but they add to my articles. (Pictures are worth a thousand words).

I also like to give some space and time between posts, in order to give readers sometime to digest them and make comment.

I find that with frequent posting, posts can get lost and buried in sidebars over time, as readers concentrate on the first page they come across before going else where.

Their comments can also guide me to where I should go next.

I don't know what anyone would do, if they didn't get any comments.

But different strokes for different folks, depends what your into.

Thank you for listening.

Regards
Peter McCartney
Sydney Australia.

Sueblimely said...

Hi Peter. Thanks for visiting. It is good to see a fellow Aussie blogger here.

I will look out for popular post and recent post widgets for the new blogger for you so posts do not get lost so easily.

If you are interested in learning about any specific aspects of blogging (addins, blogger,coding, design, social networking etc) please let me know. I too like to be guided by comments which show me what my readers are interested in learning.