Saturday, August 04, 2007

Blogged Out or Stressed Out?

Blogging is meant to be fun, right? Most of the time it is but, are you ever:
  • Overwhelmed by the amount of work your blog itself creates.
  • Feel stressed trying to keep up with all the social networking you feel that you have to do?
  • Worried that your posts are good enough, your site is designed well enough, you are running out of ideas ....
  • Concerned you are missing out on some new trend.

social networks

If you are keen to increase readership and gain recognition in the blogging world, as most of us are to some extent, there are many things we are advised to do. When you are not blogging your mind may be filled with thoughts of having to blog daily, answer comments, comment on other blogs .... and then you have to spend the time actually doing it.

With the advent of all the new social networking tools it is sometimes hard to keep up. It was simpler (although probably less effective) when the main things you had to do to get your blog noticed was to submit to blog directories and search engines, make sure your meta tag keywords were adequate and comment on other blogs.

That changed. Along came del.icio.us, Digg, Technorati, Stumble upon, MySpace, Linked In, MyBlogLog ..... many many others ...... Facebook, Pownce Twitter .... Mashable (who also have their own community feature) have a good list of the main ones on: The social network grid.

.... an hour later - I had not logged in to Mashable for a while - I had mail! It was my lucky day it seems:

I'm a Indian guy age 30 with fun luving character and good looking. I'm working as an Computer professional, India I'm looking for a female (married/unmarried) friend she really wants a honest, healthy and true male friendship.

If anyone is interested let me know - you are welcome to him!

Back to the topic now (after some self-talk re: concentrating). There are bookmarking sites, feed sites, profile sites, photo sites, video sites, miniblogs, seemingly pointless chatter sites and who knows what is round the corner.

All of these require your time and effort to one degree or other.. Answering friend requests, making friend requests, joining communities, sending messages, replying to messages... If you are a member of multiple such sites then the amount of time involved can become too much and counterproductive to blogging. It can get to the extent that you get behind on posting.

In my case I tend to join new things because I want to check them out for possible reviewing on here. I know others join because it may be the next big thing or their contacts have joined. This only adds to your work load.

Whether you are blogging for relaxation, to make friends, to make money or as an adjunct to a business, you need to manage your time effectively. Otherwise blogging becomes a chore.

Unfortunately some of the solutions also take time and effort but will be worth it in the long run. I will be writing a series of posts covering this topic over the next weeks. In the meantime please go and have a look at the post that motivated me to make a start on this topic, which I had been in the pipeline for quite a while: Pearl, the talented author of Fresh Perspectives talks about what to do when you have writer's block - Make a Decision and Stick with it

Please let me know if you sometimes find blogging hard work rather than fun and if you have found ways to deal with it.


tag alexablogging to fame

10 comments:

pearl said...

It is definitely stressful and often times information overload from all those sources you mentioned blocks my thinking I guess :) nice post Sue.. Thanks for the mention!!

PS: I was wondering why I didn't get a trackback or even a google alert on this post, I came here just because we connected recently and you commented on my blog... but how would you know if someone linked to you if not via these means? I even do a blog search sometimes... and nothing came up!!

RoarinRow said...

You're absolutely right, blogging or not blogging could be stressful. I just wrote about that on my site as well. With a personal blog I guess there is less focus than say one that has a purpose. It's hard to keep up with the latest and greatest in the blog world. Where does one start?

Colin said...

Blogged or stressed out?.....I haven't got time for being stressed out lol, I just need a 48 hour day, 10 day week etc and more arms than an octopus has tentacles, another couple of heads wouldn't go amiss....oh well, I'll just have to stick with me,myself and I and the 3 of us will plod on regardless :o)

Sueblimely said...

Hi Pearl, It may have taken Google a little while to find the post and index it? It does show up in a search now - did you get an alert?
This blog is supposed to do pings and I often do them manually too. You should have got notification.
I have added you to my comment list so lets see if you get a trackback for this one.

I can relate to overload at times too. I must keep reminding myself that I cannot read the whole Internet :-)

Sueblimely said...

I could not get to your blog to read your article, roarinrow. The link here leads to your Blogger profile which is not publicly viewable

Sueblimely said...

You will never be lonely Colin. Always someone to talk to.

Sueblimely said...

I managed to find your blogs through a Google Search and MyBlogLog roarin

Frank.Sugar&Spice said...

Hi Sue,

Great post. I am sure this rings true for just about all of us. I know I have had enough when I just can´t write anything and I just read. If I get it really bad I don´t even do that. I opt for turning off the computer and do something else entirely different.

pearl said...

you are right - I followed you here after you commented on my post and google was slower than me that day ;) just kidding! but yes, I did get the ping in the dashboard of my wordpress blog but those are done through technorati... I remember seeing an old article on this a few months ago when I was on blogger - will have to google it and see if I find it!

Sueblimely said...

Hi Pearl
Blogger does pings automatically - to technorati I think. I am also using the Feedburner PingShot feature which pings to a multitude of places.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Blogged Out or Stressed Out?

Blogging is meant to be fun, right? Most of the time it is but, are you ever:
  • Overwhelmed by the amount of work your blog itself creates.
  • Feel stressed trying to keep up with all the social networking you feel that you have to do?
  • Worried that your posts are good enough, your site is designed well enough, you are running out of ideas ....
  • Concerned you are missing out on some new trend.

social networks

If you are keen to increase readership and gain recognition in the blogging world, as most of us are to some extent, there are many things we are advised to do. When you are not blogging your mind may be filled with thoughts of having to blog daily, answer comments, comment on other blogs .... and then you have to spend the time actually doing it.

With the advent of all the new social networking tools it is sometimes hard to keep up. It was simpler (although probably less effective) when the main things you had to do to get your blog noticed was to submit to blog directories and search engines, make sure your meta tag keywords were adequate and comment on other blogs.

That changed. Along came del.icio.us, Digg, Technorati, Stumble upon, MySpace, Linked In, MyBlogLog ..... many many others ...... Facebook, Pownce Twitter .... Mashable (who also have their own community feature) have a good list of the main ones on: The social network grid.

.... an hour later - I had not logged in to Mashable for a while - I had mail! It was my lucky day it seems:

I'm a Indian guy age 30 with fun luving character and good looking. I'm working as an Computer professional, India I'm looking for a female (married/unmarried) friend she really wants a honest, healthy and true male friendship.

If anyone is interested let me know - you are welcome to him!

Back to the topic now (after some self-talk re: concentrating). There are bookmarking sites, feed sites, profile sites, photo sites, video sites, miniblogs, seemingly pointless chatter sites and who knows what is round the corner.

All of these require your time and effort to one degree or other.. Answering friend requests, making friend requests, joining communities, sending messages, replying to messages... If you are a member of multiple such sites then the amount of time involved can become too much and counterproductive to blogging. It can get to the extent that you get behind on posting.

In my case I tend to join new things because I want to check them out for possible reviewing on here. I know others join because it may be the next big thing or their contacts have joined. This only adds to your work load.

Whether you are blogging for relaxation, to make friends, to make money or as an adjunct to a business, you need to manage your time effectively. Otherwise blogging becomes a chore.

Unfortunately some of the solutions also take time and effort but will be worth it in the long run. I will be writing a series of posts covering this topic over the next weeks. In the meantime please go and have a look at the post that motivated me to make a start on this topic, which I had been in the pipeline for quite a while: Pearl, the talented author of Fresh Perspectives talks about what to do when you have writer's block - Make a Decision and Stick with it

Please let me know if you sometimes find blogging hard work rather than fun and if you have found ways to deal with it.


tag alexablogging to fame

10 comments:

pearl said...

It is definitely stressful and often times information overload from all those sources you mentioned blocks my thinking I guess :) nice post Sue.. Thanks for the mention!!

PS: I was wondering why I didn't get a trackback or even a google alert on this post, I came here just because we connected recently and you commented on my blog... but how would you know if someone linked to you if not via these means? I even do a blog search sometimes... and nothing came up!!

RoarinRow said...

You're absolutely right, blogging or not blogging could be stressful. I just wrote about that on my site as well. With a personal blog I guess there is less focus than say one that has a purpose. It's hard to keep up with the latest and greatest in the blog world. Where does one start?

Colin said...

Blogged or stressed out?.....I haven't got time for being stressed out lol, I just need a 48 hour day, 10 day week etc and more arms than an octopus has tentacles, another couple of heads wouldn't go amiss....oh well, I'll just have to stick with me,myself and I and the 3 of us will plod on regardless :o)

Sueblimely said...

Hi Pearl, It may have taken Google a little while to find the post and index it? It does show up in a search now - did you get an alert?
This blog is supposed to do pings and I often do them manually too. You should have got notification.
I have added you to my comment list so lets see if you get a trackback for this one.

I can relate to overload at times too. I must keep reminding myself that I cannot read the whole Internet :-)

Sueblimely said...

I could not get to your blog to read your article, roarinrow. The link here leads to your Blogger profile which is not publicly viewable

Sueblimely said...

You will never be lonely Colin. Always someone to talk to.

Sueblimely said...

I managed to find your blogs through a Google Search and MyBlogLog roarin

Frank.Sugar&Spice said...

Hi Sue,

Great post. I am sure this rings true for just about all of us. I know I have had enough when I just can´t write anything and I just read. If I get it really bad I don´t even do that. I opt for turning off the computer and do something else entirely different.

pearl said...

you are right - I followed you here after you commented on my post and google was slower than me that day ;) just kidding! but yes, I did get the ping in the dashboard of my wordpress blog but those are done through technorati... I remember seeing an old article on this a few months ago when I was on blogger - will have to google it and see if I find it!

Sueblimely said...

Hi Pearl
Blogger does pings automatically - to technorati I think. I am also using the Feedburner PingShot feature which pings to a multitude of places.