Saturday, June 02, 2007

Alister Cameron in the eye of the storm

Alister Cameron Blogologist, in fine form, has written an article about the trials and tribulations of keeping up with all the tasks that bloggers are advised to perform to stay on top of the game.

I was nodding my head in agreement over the time it takes to carry out the sort of tasks he mentions -
  • reading, researching, subscribing, commenting.
  • digging, bumping, favoriting, faming, fuelling, stumbling, submitting, tagging, dobbing* , befriending. If I have missed out a particular term used by a social networking site, please let me know.
Alister puts it beautifully when he says "everyone knows your success on ... social voting/bookmarking sites is directly proportional to the number of friends (i.e. people you’ve never met)"

The following don't take me much time unfortunately as Alister has not met a lot more people than I have not met.
  • commenting, thanking for comments, commenting on comments, researching the best way to comment, thank for comments and comment on comments…..

My head is spinning so I advise you to read Alister's eloquent article instead. Please come back and visit me though - after many years online some of my best friends are those I have never met. (I could really do with the practice in thanking for comments too)


*NB - to my knowledge no one has come up with the social networking term of 'dobbing' as yet but it is my definition of being dobbed in for memes, communal writing projects etc. A much friendlier definition than the one I found on Answers.com An idea considered as a replicator, esp. with the connotation that memes parasitize people into propagating them much as viruses do.

1 comment:

Thumper said...

I try not to put that much effort into blogging. I spew forth my mental musings, then go surf other blogs; anything more seems like work.

Dobbing is a new one on me...usually I see it as "tagging." And I'm usually grateful I don't often get tagged :)

Here via Michele's!

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Alister Cameron in the eye of the storm

Alister Cameron Blogologist, in fine form, has written an article about the trials and tribulations of keeping up with all the tasks that bloggers are advised to perform to stay on top of the game.

I was nodding my head in agreement over the time it takes to carry out the sort of tasks he mentions -
  • reading, researching, subscribing, commenting.
  • digging, bumping, favoriting, faming, fuelling, stumbling, submitting, tagging, dobbing* , befriending. If I have missed out a particular term used by a social networking site, please let me know.
Alister puts it beautifully when he says "everyone knows your success on ... social voting/bookmarking sites is directly proportional to the number of friends (i.e. people you’ve never met)"

The following don't take me much time unfortunately as Alister has not met a lot more people than I have not met.
  • commenting, thanking for comments, commenting on comments, researching the best way to comment, thank for comments and comment on comments…..

My head is spinning so I advise you to read Alister's eloquent article instead. Please come back and visit me though - after many years online some of my best friends are those I have never met. (I could really do with the practice in thanking for comments too)


*NB - to my knowledge no one has come up with the social networking term of 'dobbing' as yet but it is my definition of being dobbed in for memes, communal writing projects etc. A much friendlier definition than the one I found on Answers.com An idea considered as a replicator, esp. with the connotation that memes parasitize people into propagating them much as viruses do.

1 comment:

Thumper said...

I try not to put that much effort into blogging. I spew forth my mental musings, then go surf other blogs; anything more seems like work.

Dobbing is a new one on me...usually I see it as "tagging." And I'm usually grateful I don't often get tagged :)

Here via Michele's!