Monday, April 09, 2007

TripTracker Slideshow

puppy 1puppy 2

Full example at Introducing Amos

Until recently I almost exclusively used jalbum gallery software to create online photo galleries. This is a good free program with many different themes available and it is fine for creating galleries that do not need changing. If you add and insert images later you have to totally recreate the album and upload it again. As I often have to alter albums, I went searching for alternatives that would automatically include new images merely by adding them to an images folder.

I was looking for 'lightbox' type slideshow that would fit the bill. These 'pop-up' type slideshows are very popular at the moment. They are usually quick loading as the page does not have to be totally reloaded for each image.

My gripe with some of them is that you have to click on each thumbnail individually to trigger the larger image that pops up overlaying the page. Each image has to be closed before clicking on the next thumbnail. Those that do have navigation to access next and previous images are often not very intuitive. You have to know it may be there and hover over the image until the links appear.

I was delighted, therefore, to find TripTracker, which is a simple to use lightweight image viewer with more traditional type navigation and a nifty animated feature. It is easy to set up and alter(if you have some knowledge of html) and the instructions on the TripTracker site are easy to follow.

I have displayed a small example above but for a more complete view of its capabilities take a look at the Introducing Amos page I created - especially if you like cute puppy pictures - my daughter's new 'baby'.

Other lightbox type applications I discovered in my travels are listed below. (They use a variety of coding with such wonderful names as AJAX Prototype, Mootools, Scriptaculous and Ruby on Rails- for those who are interested in knowing such things). If you have a favorite, easy to implement gallery/slideshow or litebox solution please let me know.

Plugins

No comments:

Monday, April 09, 2007

TripTracker Slideshow

puppy 1puppy 2

Full example at Introducing Amos

Until recently I almost exclusively used jalbum gallery software to create online photo galleries. This is a good free program with many different themes available and it is fine for creating galleries that do not need changing. If you add and insert images later you have to totally recreate the album and upload it again. As I often have to alter albums, I went searching for alternatives that would automatically include new images merely by adding them to an images folder.

I was looking for 'lightbox' type slideshow that would fit the bill. These 'pop-up' type slideshows are very popular at the moment. They are usually quick loading as the page does not have to be totally reloaded for each image.

My gripe with some of them is that you have to click on each thumbnail individually to trigger the larger image that pops up overlaying the page. Each image has to be closed before clicking on the next thumbnail. Those that do have navigation to access next and previous images are often not very intuitive. You have to know it may be there and hover over the image until the links appear.

I was delighted, therefore, to find TripTracker, which is a simple to use lightweight image viewer with more traditional type navigation and a nifty animated feature. It is easy to set up and alter(if you have some knowledge of html) and the instructions on the TripTracker site are easy to follow.

I have displayed a small example above but for a more complete view of its capabilities take a look at the Introducing Amos page I created - especially if you like cute puppy pictures - my daughter's new 'baby'.

Other lightbox type applications I discovered in my travels are listed below. (They use a variety of coding with such wonderful names as AJAX Prototype, Mootools, Scriptaculous and Ruby on Rails- for those who are interested in knowing such things). If you have a favorite, easy to implement gallery/slideshow or litebox solution please let me know.

Plugins

No comments: